MARINELAND PENGUIN BIO WHEEL FILTERS VS. EMPEROR

• STAFFIE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Pink floyd + fish = Bliss
  • Thank you received: 40

STAFFIE replied the topic: Re:MARINELAND PENGUIN BIO WHEEL FILTERS VS. EMPEROR

fluval fx5 all the way its like a swiss army filter haha :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnnyphoenix
  • johnnyphoenix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

johnnyphoenix replied the topic: Re:MARINELAND PENGUIN BIO WHEEL FILTERS VS. EMPEROR

...Oh. One more small issue with the marineland bio wheels.

Replacement filter cartridges always seem to have carbon preinstalled and sealed. This wouldn't be too much of a problem if the top of the cartridge had a snap on clamp so you could get in there to remove it like most other cartridges....but the carbon is sealed in--necessitating cutting the wool to remove it. I have since stopped buying them and have bought similar sized plastic cartridge frames from tetra and simply use generic filter sponges with it.

• Thank you received: 0

dwencl replied the topic: Re:MARINELAND PENGUIN BIO WHEEL FILTERS VS. EMPEROR

:blink: I wish I wouldve read this before I bought the stupid penguin filter I have running now.. Ive only had it a couple of weeks and the wheel all but stop spinning yesterday. I took sandpaper to the wheel-holder thingys and then sanded the parts on the wheel that went inside in an attempt to decrease friction. its spinning a bit better, but it still has arrhythmia. What a waste of 35.00 :(

Im using it in my 60 gallon to compliment the other filter until I get one that is efficient enough to stand alone, as well cycling it for my 20 gallon angel fish tank. Im hoping it will work better with gravel as a substrate rather than sand.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re:MARINELAND PENGUIN BIO WHEEL FILTERS VS. EMPEROR

lol. yeah it looks like this thread may have helped you on that decision. I have been going with out the wheels for a while. They were just more trouble than they were worth. I put some small biological rings in the filter as a bit of a substitute; i have found it works pretty well considering.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• johnnyphoenix
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

johnnyphoenix replied the topic: Re:MARINELAND PENGUIN BIO WHEEL FILTERS VS. EMPEROR

I still use the emperor and would recommend it, although I have removed all the biowheels and replaced them with sponge, and added a fluval 305. Working great. The biowheels weren't just a mechanical issue, either. In my case I believe they were actually raising my nitrate levels, and were also causing a really irritating problem with tiny bubbles throughout the tank.

cebosound replied the topic: Re:MARINELAND PENGUIN BIO WHEEL FILTERS VS. EMPEROR

good to know JP.

• johnnyphoenix
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

cebosound wrote:

good to know JP.

Yeah, at first with the bubbles I thought it was simply a 'current' issue, but the bubbles gradually disappeared after removing the wheels. The splashing the wheels caused added bubbles, as well as the development of tiny air pockets that were actually stuck on the wheel itself--which would then come off into the water and circle around in the tank.
Adding the large sponges helped slow the current to where there was mild surface agitation but no splash or bubbling, and I'd be very surprised if I wasn't able to get just as much surface area for bacteria with the sponges as the biowheels (well, and I get some extra mechanical filtration too). I just adjusted the spray bars that were used to move the wheels to run through the sponge to keep the whole surface area wet, and the large fluval sponges fit perfectly in the housing.

An additional benefit was a significant noise reduction...the wheels tended to 'rattle' a bit. So, in a nutshell I just basically turned it into an aquaeon filter or something...lol

johnnyphoenix wrote:

cebosound wrote:

good to know JP.

An additional benefit was a significant noise reduction...the wheels tended to 'rattle' a bit. So, in a nutshell I just basically turned it into an aquaeon filter or something...lol

LOL :lol: I agree though. I think these emporers and penquins are good filters, and they are very customizable to what works for each individual. I was a late adopter of the canisters, and I have to admit since I have been using canisters, they have been great. But I still can't bring myself to get rid of my Hand Over the Back filters. They bring a different filtering element to the tank, I enjoy the surface agitation, and they turn over a good amount of water in a short amount of time.

I am glad you believe in the combo of HOB and Canister JP! :cheer:

• johnnyphoenix
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

cebosound wrote:

But I still can't bring myself to get rid of my Hand Over the Back filters. They bring a different filtering element to the tank, I enjoy the surface agitation, and they turn over a good amount of water in a short amount of time.

I am glad you believe in the combo of HOB and Canister JP! :cheer:

Personally I think a biowheel/canister setup is the way to go---I always plan to be using one HOB. Some say the best setup (a sump notwithstanding) is an internal sponge filter coupled with a canister...although I find them pretty unsightly.

You know, I sometimes wonder if they could make an 'activated carbon' wheel with the same general design for people who use carbon. (Personally I am on the fence about it. I think it works but its active life is the biggest drawback.) You could make the disposable wheels really cheap in price and sell them in large quantities, and then you could change them out every 2 weeks or so w/o really even opening the filter. Seems like if the wheel used the same design for surface area plus carbon was attached there would be a huge surface area, and it would be after the mechanical and biological media so it would stay activated for longer.

Thats a very good idea. I think your on the right track with a more disposable bio-wheel that can be replaced much cheaper and more often. Then the chamber would have more room for possibly some chemical filtration, like the ammonia chips or somthing like that.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds