Os hate plants!

• Thank you received: 0

Kenshin_Himura replied the topic: Re:Os hate plants!

they can be brats for attention :lol:

Mine plays games with me, creeps up and stares at me, but when I turn my head he swims backwards until he is behind the bubbles thinking I can't see him anymore :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

bennybadoo replied the topic: Re:Os hate plants!

Hi,
I'll put my 2 cents in even though I have only had a Tiger Oscar for one month. He is still very young, maybe 4-5 inches.
I know, I haven't a clue as to what I am in for.:unsure:

Well I purchased some Marimo balls, moss balls, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. I had to put them in his tank and then leave for the rest of he day. He backed away from them initially. I will have to report in the next few days as I observe him in action.
So far he is not destructive at all. I enjoy feeding him by hand and he seems to thrive on it.:kiss: It also creates less of a mess because he does not overload his mouth and scatter food everywhere.

I do have two fake plants and so far he does not bother them at all.:)

Aren't we all just a Little Freak of Nature

mine pushed some plants around, tore one or two up, ate some live ones, and loved to chomp on the bulbs and roots.

No more plants for him. Though he can be quite peaceful with them.

benny, you are in for some fun times. Wait for the tail shaking/vibrating, charging at reflections, freaking out and ramming into things for no reason ... like a kid throwing tantrums. Teen angst. That is when mine did most of the tank renovations, must not have liked how I set it up. Clearing gravel or making piles and changing plants around as he saw fit.

Yes, I admit he is probably going to be a handful. Of course we are putting our emotions into the mind of a fish. I really believe, though, that they know and act accordingly.

He has left the Marimo balls alone so far, but his other actions, which have nothing to do with this topic have become rather comical to say the least.:woohoo:

well, i would debate all day and all year that animals exhibit true emotions, including depression, joy, fear, excitement, love.

I have seen too much in my days to discount it.

If one were to say they don't, then the only way I could agree with that is to say humans don't either. We are but animals, and our reactions are nothing more than learned responses gained from evolutionary necessity.

Fish, birds, other animals have been known to mate for life. It is a fact that dolphins engage in sexual activity for purely pleasurable experiences, not only for procreation. Different species of animals have been know to work together to achieve a common goal, and other species have used tools and ingenuity. Some animals have communication levels that surpass our own, some animals have been proven to have intelligence and problem solving skills.

Let us just say that I have not made this conclusion on a whim. I don't care what belief system you subscribe to (science/evolution, religion, humanist) ... I know what I have observed over time from various animals in various situations. I feel this is a fact, based on this evidence, and the contrary conclusion of thinking animals are emotionless automatons is more of a myth to fit into other theories and acceptance of food chain placements and make humans feel extra special and unique.

It is all good though. I respect others opinions, even if I strongly disagree.

Hi again,

I just wanted to reply to the last posting. If you read my second sentence it stated: "I really believe, though, that they know and act accordingly." I was going to continue more on the subject but we were writing under a topic entitled Plants, not behavior. I wanted to be an Animal Behaviorist after high school, because I had and have been involved with animals all my life. My guidance counselor laughed at me and said there was no such thing, and unfortunately for me I believed him. That was back in 1967 and he left a lot to be desired.

So I agree with you totally!

Gotta go, my "Toad"(Oscar),is knocking up against the lid on the fish tank. I'm late for dinner.:blush:

rumncoke0482 replied the topic: Re:Os hate plants!

I have to say I have had only one time with my two tigers and plants and that is they hate all but one and that it is left alone unless they are chasing down some rosey's or golds for dinner otherwise it stays right where it is and i also have added extra gravel to the area where it is and buried it deep in the gravel so its not as easy but drift wood is always a good decoration if you are looking to add something to the tank

I have lost my mind be back when I find it, maybe.

• Spike
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Red Oscar

Spike replied the topic: Re:Os hate plants!

I had a lovely Red O a few years ago that absolutely hated the tall plastic plant (or so I thought) I had to cover pipes and stuff. He used to rag it to within inches of its life, until one day it was all broken up and bits were all over the tank. So I cleared up the debris and decided not to bother with another fake plant but the little sod sulked until I bought another one. He wouldn't play with anything else but plastic plants. He cost me a fortune over the years, but it was great fun watching him.:laugh:

180 UK gallon - Central American Cichlids
75 UK gallon - South American Cichlids
30 UK gallon - South American community
25 UK gallon - Hospital/ Quarantine Tank.

• PAUL
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

PAUL replied the topic: Re:Os hate plants!

i just want to clear things with oscar hate plants.
actually, they do not hate plants, it is just their
natural characters to tear down plants and move every
item around them. it is just our notion that they hate
plants. the truth is they love plants and always come near
to plants. they love bulldozing any moving items inside their
tank,tearing down whatever could be torn. that is their natural
character.

would you believe they love to chunks those young roots of the
plants.

• biggamehunter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

biggamehunter replied the topic: Re:Os hate plants!

i lost two more plants this morning !!!!!but we must understand its their home and they are only rearanging the furniture ....

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds