New to Live Plants

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

Noddy wrote: I found that any plant in the gravel, real or fake accumulated a LOT of dirt underneath them.
It made gravelvacuuming a pain, so i only got fake hanging plants now.
which i also have to clean throughly every month.
Algae buildts up very fast there, for they are right underneath the lights.

What do you mean by hanging plants noddy? Are you talking about how Staffie has his?; it looks like it has suction cups on them? Or do you just let them float on top?

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

not sure if its the same but I have a blue light in my tank which is for plants came as a standard thing when I brought tank and I tend to have it on more than normal light as it isnt as bright.

But you sound abit like me in not trusting a word the LFS ever tell you they tend to make alot of things up. Some shop owners out there do care though I'm sure :)

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

cebosound wrote:

Noddy wrote: I found that any plant in the gravel, real or fake accumulated a LOT of dirt underneath them.
It made gravelvacuuming a pain, so i only got fake hanging plants now.
which i also have to clean throughly every month.
Algae buildts up very fast there, for they are right underneath the lights.

What do you mean by hanging plants noddy? Are you talking about how Staffie has his?; it looks like it has suction cups on them? Or do you just let them float on top?

Yes,like Staffies...and mine.
I used twistwire and ducttape in addition to the suctioncups,for my o tore them loose every time...

• cashmoney6980
  • cashmoney6980's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9

cashmoney6980 replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

jnet wrote: But you sound abit like me in not trusting a word the LFS ever tell you they tend to make alot of things up. Some shop owners out there do care though I'm sure :)

Lol, this is very true. There was a small fish shop we had in my town a few years ago, and the guys there actually knew what they were talking about, and i trusted their word, but a flood came through and they went out of business, and now the only pet store around me is a Petco, which is a large chain store....and i know more about fish than 90% of their staff...and thats pretty sad lol.

• kazzy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • i want my tank xxx
  • Thank you received: 0

kazzy replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

i use floating plants, they grow nicely make shade for ny oscar and he leaves them alone, x

kazzy xxxx

OSCARBOi11 replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

So I'm a noob too n these replys dnt really answer da question???
Plz list da plants dat r safe n harmful to oscars???
Tell us wat kinda of plants y'all put in???

Thnx

• cashmoney6980
  • cashmoney6980's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9

cashmoney6980 replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

OSCARBOi11 wrote: So I'm a noob too n these replys dnt really answer da question???
Plz list da plants dat r safe n harmful to oscars???
Tell us wat kinda of plants y'all put in???

Thnx

Welcome to OFL!

Well, so far from everything ive read and studied, there is no actually safe plant for oscars. I personally have found that they really dont mind Baby Tears. I have a handful of them in my 125 gallon, and the oscar in there didnt like where a couple was set, so he moved them, and i replanted them where he moved them to, and havent had a problem since. And its the exact same way with the oscar ive got alone in a 75 gallon...he moves them to where he wants them, then doesnt pay any mind to them after that.

But also, every oscar fish is different, and i couldve just got lucky with mine accepting plants. Ive heard quite a bit, (and i think users on this site have learned first-hand) that no plant is really safe for oscars. A lot of people actually even have trouble putting fake plants in an oscar tank, simply because of the uprooting, and moving.

I guess its pretty much a situation that youre going to have to try, and see if it works for your oscars.

Good Luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: OSCARBOi11

OSCARBOi11 replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

thnx bruh yea im a noob i jus got my 72 gal tank n it has a sump in da stand..da tank was a saltwater tank but ill make sure to wash it w vinegar... i plan to get my O's a few months frm now...i jus needa research a lil more bout da sump..also i wnt sand in it...i wna make sure i do it rite da first time so my O's will b HAPPY..

btw wat is da plant dat floats on top of da water???????i heard da O's play w it n it acts as shade for them

• Thank you received: 8

Mistal replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

well i have 2 types of plants in my tank, Amazon sword and corkscrew val. and i can tell you that the corkscrew val has not lasted... at all... it constantly gets pulled up, and ripped apart, BUT the amazon swords i have in there have not been touched at all, so it seems to me that the bigger the plant the more likely it is to last in your tank with Oscars
The following user(s) said Thank You: OSCARBOi11

sbrand replied the topic: Re: New to Live Plants

jnet wrote: not sure if its the same but I have a blue light in my tank which is for plants came as a standard thing when I brought tank and I tend to have it on more than normal light as it isnt as bright.

But you sound abit like me in not trusting a word the LFS ever tell you they tend to make alot of things up. Some shop owners out there do care though I'm sure :)

I love blue lights - I think about installing one in my tank for the little plants trees too. I am just not sure which one it will be in the end because I also think about moving everything to a bigger tank to give it more space to grow.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds