Blue Grean Algae Control

• anth
  • anth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

anth created the topic: Blue Grean Algae Control

Hello All,

Was hoping someone may have some useful advice for dealing with blue green algae.
The tank in question is my 300L with my O, plec and convict in. The tank itself is well established (3 + years) running 2x internal filters (fluval U4 and the Fluval 3+)

My problem started about 3 weeks ago when I noticed that around a piece of drift wood that I currently have jarva moss growing from the gravel was starting to turn green.

Initially I thought this was due to the jarva moss starting to attach to the gravel. A few days later it was clear that it was some form of Algae as it was slimy and growing quick.

I did a normal water change and siphoned all the gravel around that area and all visible traces of the algae was gone.

4 days later at the same spot the same thing started again. At this point I started to do some research into this and discovered it was blue green algae.
I cannot see any clear review on how to stop it other than just do more water changes.

I have now done two aggressive cleans with 40% water changes lifted all drift wood etc and given the gravel an extremely good vacuum over the past week and again it starting to return.

My local pet store have recommended anti bacterial treatment for the tank as blue green algae despite the name is not algae but more of bacterial infection in the tank.

Has anyone managed to beat this stuff?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nicki--Sue
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Nicki--Sue replied the topic: Re: Blue Grean Algae Control

I have no experience with this Hun... maybe somone else can help... sorry

• Thank you received: 17

Gazza replied the topic: Re: Blue Grean Algae Control

I'm not an expert but here in Australia most blue green algae blooms occur in summer (longer days = more sunlight ) ,slower if any water flow due to less rainfall

Is your tank exposed to direct sunlight ? well known for causing algae ;)

do your filters move much water ?

just a couple of possible causes

Gaz

The purpose of life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave with a well-preserved body, but rather to Slide in Sideways, completely used up, yelling and screaming, what a ride!

• Thank you received: 22

Kanga-Fish replied the topic: Re: Blue Grean Algae Control

Sounds to me more like hair algae.
Blue green as far as I know, blooms in the water, not on surfaces.
How much light does your tank get. 8 hours a day is all you want.
As Gazza asked, how much direct sunlight?
I had hair algae bad in my community tank. It got so bad that I pulled everthing out including gravel, and washed, bleached, scrubbed, than rinced in tank water before returning to tank again. That was a few weeks back and so far touch wood, the algae has not returned.

• Thank you received: 12

RIFF-RAFF replied the topic: Re: Blue Grean Algae Control

Remove the drift wood for a while and see if that stops it.
I had a load in my tank for about a year with no problems. Suddenly i got a major algae problem. Removed it and the algae went to. Put it back after a few months and the algae came back.
The driftwood now makes a nice shelf ornament and algae has never been back.

• anth
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

anth replied the topic: Re: Blue Grean Algae Control

Thanks for your replys so far..

I have done the following so far and its made a big difference, I think fingers crossed I might be winning this time.

I have set the filters to both output as much as possible pointing down towards the gravel (idea here was to stop anyting attaching) I have read on another site to get as much oxygen into the tank as possible so they are both set on areation (sp) mode so plenty of air bubles also.

Also cut right back on the feeding so less waste and the small bits that were comming back have started to go... so fingers crossed

• anth
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

anth replied the topic: Re: Blue Grean Algae Control

ohh and also removed the driftwood that seemed to be causing the porblem even though its been in the tank for over 9 months :huh:

Forrest3663 replied the topic: Re: Blue Grean Algae Control

just keep doing water changes. i had some in my 150 for a while. everynow and then it pops up again but not for long. just siphon it up. keep water parems. at the right level. get some phoszorb. and keep nitrites at 10ppm. that should clear it up.

• JamieM
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

JamieM replied the topic: Re: Blue Grean Algae Control

Take the wood out and put it in a large pot or container and cover it in water and boil it, not for long most living organisms will die at boiling point. The same with the gravel round where algae is growing. Or all of it if you have time.
One point give the gravel a good gravel hoover before you try to take the gravel out or all the sludge of the day will go everywhere in the water.

Thats what cI would do and I only have 1/2 of gravel in my tank these days as gravel is just a sludge trap for disease and all the sh*t of the day. My own opinion.

• Thank you received: 17

Gryphon replied the topic: Re: Blue Grean Algae Control

Might also consider doing a total blackout of your tank for a week or two. Cover it with a towel and only remove it long enough for feeding and cleaning.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds