java moss

• galactus
  • galactus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

galactus created the topic: java moss

picked up some java moss today, figured it grows fast and it eats nitrates up. plus it looks sweet on that drift wood :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re: java moss

The only problem with Java Moss is that it is destroyed very easily so that is something you may have to prepare yourself for.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 26

dotti90 replied the topic: Re: java moss

java moss wouldn't grow in my aquarium not sure why LOL. i would love some live plants i might give them another shot, i'm very lucky to have two O's that are no into interior design and leave everything alone =) even the gravel.

• galactus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

galactus replied the topic: Re: java moss

well it grows fast enough and its cheap so im not worried about the vandalism. thanks for the warning tho :lol: Dotti, try some moss, it grows in low light (and grows fast) and you don't need a co2 system

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: java moss

Nice tank :)

Yea my oscars broke my willow moss of the driftwood yesterday shame but it was there way over a few months or more so I'm happy with than and I'm redoing their tank soon so its like they knew. :) It does look good when it grows along the driftwood.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• galactus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

thanks! what are you planning on doing to your tank jnet?

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: java moss

more or less what I have now :) With the new tank being 6ft I'm planning keeping gravel, driftwood to the left gradually turning in to sand and open water. And whilst digging pond I found this real nice drain pipe. (No worries it wasnt attached to anything lol) I guess its from my old victorian outside loo when it was in the garden. So I have been chipping the cement away and neatening it up but now chip big chunk off. I am hoping to rest it on top and you will never know I broke it lol. I am planning to put that in the middle for my rafeals and possible new members like a JD or GT.

So whilst wrestling with my drift wood which is going to be a nightmare to get out of the tank and then into the new one. I might as well add some more java moss and rescue whats left of my willow moss :) Any tips on getting this stuff to grow? And is willow moss alot slower as mine doesnt seem to grow very quick.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Thank you received: 26

Jdempsey replied the topic: Re: java moss

Best i remember willow moss requires a bit cooler temps to prosper than does java moss.
There are so many different mosses. All beautiful and require slight variences in aquarium conditions to grow. Ive had a bit of luck with christmas moss also.

Another plant i would use alot and really had great luck with. Riccia fluitans.
It can be attached to rocks and driftwood or be left as a floating plant.

Good luck with the willow moss. How about you and Galactus post some pics once everything fills in. Im an aquatic plant nut and relly enjoy pics of tanks with live plants.

• galactus
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

well, as far as tips go, ive read that it only needs a little bit of light a day. i have my aquarium lights on for about 5 hours every night and my tank is next to a window, i'll open the curtains for a few hours everyday and give the fish some sunlight.
i have also read that java moss thrives with movement so Ive attached a fine aerator under my driftwood and the bubbles run threw some of the moss. i don't know how this is going to work but we will find out lol. here's a couple of photo's so you can see what im talking about.

i have never done willow moss but i will check it out!

Jdempsey wrote: Good luck with the willow moss. How about you and Galactus post some pics once everything fills in. Im an aquatic plant nut and relly enjoy pics of tanks with live plants.

most definitely, I'll post some pics in a couple of weeks

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds