planted tank ?'s

• btd71
  • btd71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

btd71 created the topic: planted tank ?'s

is it possible to aquascape a nice planted tank and somehow keep your oscars from tearing up and destroying all your hard work? i really like the look of planted tanks but i have tried and my oscars arent having any of it. but it was a pretty lame attempt on my part. i just put some plants in my tank not actually planted and my oscars tore that stuff up in a few hours.feedback would be really appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 26

Jdempsey replied the topic: Re: planted tank ?'s

Same here. I really like live planted aquariums. But I went with all fake plants in my tank. Now they never bother those at all. I never even risked trying live plants or at least the multitude id like to have. A few here and there they may tolerate or pull them up or toss them around to their liking as you have already experienced. In all honesty oscars and plants are a bad combination. They really dont like one another.

Im fixing to buy a 4 gallon nano tank with a co2 setup. And add a few plants in there. The upkeep prob wont be to bad. And at least ill have a plant tank (though small) with some beautiful greenery.
The following user(s) said Thank You: btd71

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: planted tank ?'s

I think it depends where you put them and what type you have, but its only a matter of time. I have bogwood with java ferns and things like that they dont seem to bother with. I did have willow moss but as soon as it creeped into their den it was pulled on driftwood. I plant plants and stay in tank for 3/4 months but to be honest that is about the same as my other tanks so. My mollies and firemouths are just as bad and plant munching and shifting but it keeps them occupied :)

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• btd71
  • btd71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

btd71 replied the topic: Re: planted tank ?'s

thanks for the input

• Thank you received: 1

ViperTas replied the topic: Re: planted tank ?'s

I did read sumwhere that using a plastic grating mesh will stop the oscars ripping them up. Might be on youtube...? U put the plant roots thru the mesh, a layer of gravel in the bottom of the tank, then drop in the mesh and plants, weigh it down with a couple rocks and put more gravel over the top so u cant see it. I'm fairly sure I saw an impressive planted tank on youtube using this technique

• Thank you received: 4

adnanyastronot replied the topic: Re: planted tank ?'s

Hi Oscar Lovers!
There are few plants which I think are appropriate for Oscar tank. One of them is that kind of Cryptocoryne (Cryptocoryne_crispatula_var__balansae).

• Thank you received: 0

Lilbludrea replied the topic: Re: planted tank ?'s

^^^ This is what I have in my tank & the oscars don't bother it

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds