Aquatic plant supplements question.

• larch
  • larch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish
  • Thank you received: 11

larch created the topic: Aquatic plant supplements question.

Hey guys I want to take care of my plants a little bit more than I am currently doing which is none. I dont want to get too hectic because then it gets a bit expensive and to much for my low tech setup. What plant supplements do you guys recommend I use for my tank, taking into account it must not affect my zebra snail population or cause algae blooms. Just something to give my plants a small boost that is all, I was looking at Seachem Flourish what else can you guys recommend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Aquatic plant supplements question.

I wouldn't know, i only keep some fake hanging plants, that i clean every sveral months, because of the algae built up.
But i'm sure someone with a successfull planted tank, will chime in.

I am allways sorry for all those unused bottles in my watertestkit, for there's all meant for testing a planted tank, once you have plants and use those supplements and additives...:( :( :side:

this is from "The planted tank" and may help you a bit:
"see about getting his root fertilizer tablets. I think they're $1 for 12. Jobe spikes will keep some plants alive, but in my opinion, they're too simplistic to promote the growth so many of us seek. I've used off-ice's homemade tablets, seachems tablets, jobes for ferns and palms,Aquarium Pharmacuetical's tablets, and jobes for household plants, and that is in order from best growth and results to worse growth and results, in my experience."

So for ferns and palms, you can use the aquatic plant sticks.
Tablets are the main thing for all the other plants as i read

But no matter how many threads about plants in tanks i see, i won't go back to the "In-gracel-debris-accululators" they call "plants".:dry: :huh: :S :unsure:
I do vacuum very thoroughly and the plants allways hinder me in keeping the tank as clean as i want it..
Tried floating onces, but i hated the sight of all the dirt hanging in the roots of those...
The following user(s) said Thank You: larch

• larch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish

larch replied the topic: Re: Aquatic plant supplements question.

Thanks for the advice, so far my experience with plants in a Oscar tank is the complete opposite than yours. I haven't had a plant die on me yet even though I dont add anything special to the water or trim the leaves extra, hence I decided to add something to make them a bit more healthy. And they seem the help a great deal with balancing my Ammonia levels in my tank.

So I decided on Seachem Flourish you just add just add 1 5mil cap to the tank each week and that is it. It doesn't promote any algae growth and contains all the nutrients plant need that aren't always in the water you add to the tank here is the website: www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourish.html

Give it a month or so then I will report back on the state of my aquatic plants and see if it made a difference.

• Thank you received: 26

Jdempsey replied the topic: Re: Aquatic plant supplements question.

Ive used jobes plant sticks, flourish and alot of diff ferts in liquid form. They all work ok. Just be careful you will be in a battle with algae. Dosing that stuff is a hit or miss till you get a feel specially for you tank and lighting setup.

If the plants you are using are low light varieties you are better off using the plant sticks. This keeps the ferts in the gravel and out of the water column. Thus less chance of an algae bloom. MY rule of thumb was never using liquid ferts unless I had the massive amount of light and fast growers and preferably C02 which allowed them to really suck out any nutrients in the water.

If i remember correct are your plants in containers? If so i would recommend getting some seachem flourite or flora max.

Flourite is a clay based gravel with a number of trace elements, and specifically iron. I always had excellent results using it.

• Thank you received: 0

Shagzs replied the topic: Re: Aquatic plant supplements question.

I use Co2 injection for my planted tank im using a yeast a sugar mixture its cheap and easy to make. Im still in high school so i dont have a job so this was perfect for me and helped my plants grow nice and tall
You can make your own setup with a bottle and a air hose. You can look up how to make a homemade co2 injection setup for details if your interested

Shagzs wrote: I use Co2 injection for my planted tank im using a yeast a sugar mixture its cheap and easy to make. Im still in high school so i dont have a job so this was perfect for me and helped my plants grow nice and tall
You can make your own setup with a bottle and a air hose. You can look up how to make a homemade co2 injection setup for details if your interested

That brings back some memories. Ive mixed a quite a few 2 liter coke bottles to get co2.

WylDe Billy replied the topic: Re: Aquatic plant supplements question.

API root tabs

• larch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish

Well it has been about a week now since I started dosing with Seachem Flurish (Using nothing else) and my plant growth has jumped I counted about 20 or so new leaves sprouting from my amazon swords. I am now cutting some of the older leaves to make way for new ones will post a picture later on today.

• larch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish

So after a week this is what my plants look like using Seachem Flourish they are growing all over the place now:

They look very healthy.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds