WPG upper range OK for Oscars?

• pepetj
  • pepetj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

pepetj created the topic: WPG upper range OK for Oscars?

I know Oscars don't seem to feel comfortable in high-lighted planted tanks. Since I do keep plants with them (mixed but encouraging results) I would like to bring the WPG to the upper limit that still would be comfortable for them. Any of you know or have a good idea what that safe or comfortable range might be?

I am currently running with barely 0.33WPG (nominal maximum). Would 1 or 1.5WPG be too much? would it be OK with 2WPG?

Thank you

Pepe
Santo Domingo

PS: Now experimenting with Vallisneria americana... and crossing my fingers!

Tank #4: Heavily Planted 121UKgal.
2 paired-off Tiger Oscars 13\" ea. + 2 paired-off Angelfish 4.5\" ea. + 2 pairs of paired-off Convicts 4\" ea. + 17 Silver Dollars 2.5-3\" ea. + 6 Kenyi 4 to 5\" ea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot replied the topic: Re:WPG upper range OK for Oscars?

I'd say it depends greatly on the individual fish. Try out 1 WPG and if your fish don't seem too stressed by it, bump it up to 1.5 WPG and try that out for a while. If you raise it slowly over time it should stress them less, but there's no way to say for sure what your particular fish will tolerate.

A programmable dimmer might also be helpful in decreasing the stress of higher lights. That way you could simulate dawn and dusk, not just have no lights or bright lights.

• pepetj
  • pepetj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

pepetj replied the topic: Re:WPG upper range OK for Oscars?

Thank you, I will take the slowly increase approach.

I did some calculations and today upgraded (temporarily) to 0.75WPG at the center area of the tank. I am keeping both ends (Oscars at LH, Severums at RH) as before, with 0.33WPG.

Pepe
Santo Domingo

Tank #4: Heavily Planted 121UKgal.
2 paired-off Tiger Oscars 13\" ea. + 2 paired-off Angelfish 4.5\" ea. + 2 pairs of paired-off Convicts 4\" ea. + 17 Silver Dollars 2.5-3\" ea. + 6 Kenyi 4 to 5\" ea.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds