well my plants were doing great...

  • donk232
  • donk232's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 609
  • Thank you received: 5

donk232 created the topic: well my plants were doing great...

my oscar ignores them, and my bichir and FMs love it, then i started getting algae and without a pleco i decided to get a apple snail... FAIL... he hasnt touched the algae and he is destroying my pothos and swords. what are other/better options for algae eaters i can have with my plants, oscar and bichir.

EDIT: i even put veggies in the tank but he ignores them to eat my plants
#180407

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • johnnyphoenix
  • johnnyphoenix's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 2036
  • Karma: 1
  • Thank you received: 24

johnnyphoenix replied the topic: Re: well my plants were doing great...

donk232 wrote: my oscar ignores them, and my bichir and FMs love it, then i started getting algae and without a pleco i decided to get a apple snail... FAIL... he hasnt touched the algae and he is destroying my pothos and swords. what are other/better options for algae eaters i can have with my plants, oscar and bichir.

EDIT: i even put veggies in the tank but he ignores them to eat my plants


I don't believe any kind of 'Algae eater' is really going to make a noticeable difference in cleaning the tank. IMO they add far more waste more than anything...or they can become a pest if you have apple snails that reproduce, or, like you are experiencing, eat your plants. Nothing replaces a good old manual scraping and cleaning.
#180409

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • STAFFIE
  • STAFFIE's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Pink floyd + fish = Bliss
  • Posts: 2376
  • Thank you received: 40

STAFFIE replied the topic: Re: well my plants were doing great...

johnnyphoenix wrote:

donk232 wrote: my oscar ignores them, and my bichir and FMs love it, then i started getting algae and without a pleco i decided to get a apple snail... FAIL... he hasnt touched the algae and he is destroying my pothos and swords. what are other/better options for algae eaters i can have with my plants, oscar and bichir.

EDIT: i even put veggies in the tank but he ignores them to eat my plants


I don't believe any kind of 'Algae eater' is really going to make a noticeable difference in cleaning the tank. IMO they add far more waste more than anything...or they can become a pest if you have apple snails that reproduce, or, like you are experiencing, eat your plants. Nothing replaces a good old manual scraping and cleaning.


X2 the Algae on the glass is easily cleaned during your water changes.. as for any other algae on your decorations or wood etc etc is a good thing right?
#180414

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 557
  • Thank you received: 26

Jdempsey replied the topic: Re: well my plants were doing great...

UUUGHHHH. Did you say the A word.

I have been leaving my lights on for way to long and my platic plants are now going to have to be soaked in a diluted mix of clorox to clean them up.

As far as im concerned no algae is good. Well maybe blue green for health reasons. Had enough bouts with green, brown and hair algae when i had my live planted tanks.
#180487

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 11890
  • Karma: 9
  • Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: well my plants were doing great...

Jdempsey wrote: UUUGHHHH. Did you say the A word.

I have been leaving my lights on for way to long and my platic plants are now going to have to be soaked in a diluted mix of clorox to clean them up.

Say what, explain yourself, :blink: :blink: for i do scrub every leaf of my plastic plants, with a scrubber and using my fingers, to get the algae off every several months, and it takes me all afternoon, to clean those fake plants on 2 tanks...

But in fact i don't mind the algae, it's only done when it becomes too messy or with big maintenance rounds. :P
#180504

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • donk232
  • donk232's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 609
  • Thank you received: 5

donk232 replied the topic: Re: well my plants were doing great...

Well I came home and leaves were stuck in my overflow and the pump was pumping bubbles so... Gary the snail.is.going.to go this weekend (not sure where but else fwhere) my Oscar doesn't seem to mind plants but will pull on them but Gary ate moat of what I had. I want to re plant my tank th.is weekend after Gary is gone. I love plants and I'm ready to take out decorations to make room for.live plants. sherbet the Oscar does pull on plants a little so I need suggestions on hardy plants maybe lily pads or floating.
#182085

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds