Brown spots on leaves

• larch
  • larch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish
  • Thank you received: 11

larch replied the topic: Re: Brown spots on leaves

I got another question currently I have 60 Watts of light running in my tank is that enough for my tank?

Also I want to add another light I have heard people use Philips Tornado 6500K CFL bulbs, only problem I have is do these lights get hot and if so how hot. And would it be a good idea if I add one of those to compliment my two 30 watt T8`s.

Because it seems a cheaper option than buying another 30 watt ballast and tube.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Graeme76 replied the topic: Re: Brown spots on leaves

Well your set up is currently only 1.2wpg & I would not normally regard that as enough light for most Sword plants. Having said that, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you think the plants are growing well at the moment then I wouldn't change anything other than adding the root tabs. If you do think lack of light is a problem though then I would spend the extra on another 30w T8. CFL's typically need to be replaced within 3 months as the light quality of light deteriorates very quickly. T8's on the other hand usually only need to be replaced every 9-12 months. What you save now on a fixture you will probably soon spend on replacement bulbs. CFL's do produce alot of heat compared to a T8 so you lose more energy to heat. The other thing to consider is that a single CFL will not effectively light the whole length of the tank like a 30 T8 will. The CFL will light the area immediately below it effectively but that light will dissapate quickly as you move away from being directly under the light.

It's up to you but personally I'd go with the "if it ain't broke" theory for now & see how it goes over the next couple of months once you add fert tabs in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: larch

• larch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish

Decided to add another 30 watt ballast to my tank I mean it cant really hurt can it. Just need to find out what type of Neon light I can use not going to fork out R120 for those they sell at the shops.

• larch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish

SauRoN;855156 wrote: Worst that would happen is more algae growing more quickly.

Well I went ahead and added an extra 30 watt tube, if there is any algae growth my 16 zebra snails should take care of it fairy quickly:

Cabling is a bitch now with all the ballasts and cables running everywhere but busy sorting that issue out.

• larch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish

I think I have more than enough light now.....and I have already noticed a difference in my plants colouration and growth rate:

• larch
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Keeper of Fish

Question? Do I trim any of the leaves of the Amazons that are showing the brown spots or should I leave it and let nature take its course?

• Thank you received: 0

afraidcrrazy replied the topic: Re: Brown spots on leaves

I kept plants about 8 years and have experienced a similar problem before. Stains brown / balck are algae, I think, and semi-transparent sheets usually caused by lack of nutrition for certain plants, such as K or Fe If you add some K, Fe and some trace elements and CO2 ( more light, if desired), the plants grow faster and hopefully out-compete the algae. I also tried different algae eating fish, but not of them really can not change anything, although some of them seem to work very hard. If you are able to make plants grow fast enough and use the most balanced diet, most algae mixed.

Care Tips:
The Amazon sword plants aquarium is an easy plant to care for the fans first. The plant grows to 20 inches tall and does well in large aquariums that can be planted individually as a focal point or in groups with other aquatic plants as a backdrop for your aquarium. Amazon Sword grows anything like that, even when you put the fish they eat live plants.

Instructions
1.Plant Amazon sword plants in an aquarium environment but without the aquarium gravel substrate that is rich in nutrients for plants.

2.Maintain water temperature from 72 to 82 degrees F. Place a thermometer in the aquarium to monitor temperature.

3.Test the pH of the water every two weeks or when cleaning the aquarium as the Amazon sword plants prefer a pH of 6.5 to 7.5. Apply chemicals aquarium pH if the pH needs adjustment.

4.Add iron-rich fertilizer in the planting substrate of the aquarium at the time of planting. Apply a chelated iron aquarium plant fertilizer when the plant turns yellow because this is a sign of iron deficiency.

5.Provide the right amount of light for the Amazon sword plant for the maintenance of a minimum of 2 watts of full spectrum lighting per gallon of aquarium water.

6. Spreading the Amazon sword plant carefully removing the shoots of plants growing out of the mother plant. The new shoots have their own root system must be carefully untangle the roots of the mother plant. Dig the whole plant to remove the shoots if necessary. Replanting of parents and the baby plants.

............ artificial bamboo plants ...............

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds