low light no co2 plants.

• donk232
  • donk232's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5

donk232 created the topic: low light no co2 plants.

well my set up is really basic nothing to accommodate for plants but im looking for as many plants as i can, i would like a ground cover (or at least something to cover my flower pots) anything big will be in a pot. maybe some java fern and java moss. but please help me out with ideas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: low light no co2 plants.

Wish I could help ya on this donk, but I've never dabbled in live plants. Hopefully someone can advise. Good luck! ;)

• Thank you received: 3

Graeme76 replied the topic: Re: low light no co2 plants.

Exactly how much of what type (T8, T5NO, T5NO, CFL) light over what size tank? Knowing this would give me a better idea of what you have & allow me to make better plant recommendations.

Typically you would look at Java Fern, Java Moss, any Anubius Species, Water Sprite, Cryptocoryne Wendtii, Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis, Cryptocoryne Undulatus, Bolbitus Fern, Ambulia, Water Wisteria & Elodea/Anacharis for a typical low light set up with no co2. Depending on exactly how much light you have you may be able to grow Hygrophila Polysperma "Sunset" for a bit of color.

Carpet plant choices are very limited for low light set ups. Your best bet is to sandwich some Java Moss between pieces of hobby mesh & then weigh it down with stones. The Moss will grow out through the mesh & can be trimmed to shape & length with a pair of scissors.

I hope that helps.

• donk232
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

donk232 replied the topic: Re: low light no co2 plants.

my lighting is homemade, but i don't even know the watts, its a 4 foot work bench light from ace hardware with 2 straight florescent bulbs over a 125 gallon tank. im trying to check on the light after this

its 2 40watt bulbs so total of only 80watts over 125 gallons .64watts/gallon :(
my pothos and random miss labled plant from the pet store seemed to be growing GREAT, until i bought my apple snail. (soon to be gone apple snail) i like plants not him... but worst case scenario ill buy a few pothos plants and get a bubbler under the roots, and call it a day.

EDIT: lmao when i was looking at the lights i noticed one little ghost shrimp from the 30+ i bought 2 1/2 weeks ago... he is a survivor

• donk232
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Will plant fertilizer give my plants a noticeable increased rate of growth? I almost bought some when I bought my plants. 2 swords 2 java fern 1 lucky bamboo 1 pothos is what I have in the tank. and I want to get java moss but I think I have to order it online

• Thank you received: 3

Graeme76 replied the topic: Re: low light no co2 plants.

In your case with very low light levels you won't get a noticeable increased growth rate by using ferts. It might make a difference in the overall health of plants that feed from the water column which might result in a tiny growth rate increase but not so much that you notice it. You would need to provide more energy by increasing the amount of light you have & you would also need to add some faster growing plants that are suitable for the amount of light you have.

Now for the bad news, with the aount of light you have you won't really be able to grow much other than Java Fern, Java Moss & Anubius varieties unless there is a fairly decent amount of ambient light getting into the tank. You might get away with Cryptocoryne Wendtii but that would be a try it & see. Swords need at least 1.5wpg of T8 lighting to survive long term so I don't like your chances with your current arrangement. The next lot of bad news is that Pothos & Lucky Bamboo are non-aquatic plants that will not survive permanantly submerged. They may survive for a few months or even a year or so but permanantly, I'm afraid not. Both of those plants can only be grown with the roots permanantly in the water & a good portion of the foliage extending out of the surface of the tank. I have also read that Pothos is slightly toxic to cats & dogs. I don't know if it is toxic to fish or not but could be worth researching.

• donk232
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I know pothos and lucky bambo arent perminant I'm not to worried when they start looking bad ill toss them. the swords are in the area of most light and the one I had did ok til the snail ate it all.
ill see what everything does temporary but ill be ok with java moss and java ferns for a permanent solution to my plans

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds