Question about lights

• Zending
  • Zending's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

Zending created the topic: Question about lights

Quick question about lighting...

I was in Menards tonight looking at Fluorescent light fixtures. I can't afford the real expensive T5 lights right now, but I'm looking to beef up my planted tank. The fixtures for the T8 lights said "Equivalent to 100 watts, while only using 25 watts of energy." I know they're talking about your electric bill. However, if I got those fixtures, bought 4 of them, and put my fluorescent plants bulbs in...would that be equal to 400 watts of light for the plants? So if I used it in my 125, I'd be getting around 3 watts per gallon or more? Let me know, relatively un-educated in the plant department here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7

free3tbzz replied the topic: Re: Question about lights

i dont know anything about aquarium lighting...but i do know lighting for other things...and one thing i can tell you is that floros are a hell of a lot cheaper to run...and dont get to hot... as far as i know that "super" bulb you mentioned should do the trick.

• scarhbar
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • My Dog's name is Oscar
  • Thank you received: 7

scarhbar replied the topic: Re: Question about lights

Nope! and besides, the "watts per gallon" rule is about as bad as the "inches per gallon" rule (in the plant world). Ha you need to look at the K rating, and the lumens.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds