Plants and Plecos??

• tjwalley
  • tjwalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

tjwalley created the topic: Plants and Plecos??

I have decided to add live plants as well as driftwood. I got a pleco to do some cleaning up of food particles that get loose when the fish feed, and he does a good job of it. But unless i'm confused by what i'm reading, the food particles are good for the plants? So my question is how good are plecos with live plants? Will he eat them, or eat up the nutrients they need? Or will it all balance out? I'd like to add a few more medium size fish for asthetics, and if i could do without the pleco i would donate him to the pet store to save on space/bioload so i'm not dead set on keeping him. Just wondering if he's needed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13

Small Fry replied the topic: Re: Plants and Plecos??

I personally have a 6 inch pleco in my planted tank and I have found that he does not bother the plants at all. It is true that excess food particles can add nutrients to the substrate but to much will just eventually rot and cloud your tank. The pleco will help in the clean up part but having said that they poo a lot too. This can also be good for a planted tank for the plants will use the nutrients in fish poo to their benefit also. So in a nut shell it is not a must to have a pleco but in my case it does not hurt either. I just make sure I feed mine a few algae wafers a night and mine seems to leave the plants alone.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: Plants and Plecos??

Depends on what kind of pleco & what kind of plants. Common plecos tend to leave plants alone(if well fed), but panaques(royal, blue eyed,etc) will make a salad of just about anything(they especially seem to like amazon swords). I have a 180 w/ Jaguar cichlids & a clown, royal, & gibbiceps plecos, & I keep java fern. It apparently is distasteful to them, as I have had it in my tank for well over 4 years, & they haven't eaten it.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds