Lucky Bamboo...Toxin Remover?

• OrangeO
  • OrangeO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

OrangeO created the topic: Lucky Bamboo...Toxin Remover?

Today, while shopping around I came across some Lucky Bamboo and decided to buy some. I've done some research about plants and know that they are beneficial in an aquarium. They help remove toxins... (Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate? Or all of them? Im not sure :pinch: )

I know that Lucky Bamboo isn't an aquatic plant so obviously I could not fully submerge it in the aquarium... so this it what I did instead ;) ...

Attachment IMG_3387.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_3389.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_3392.JPG not found

I pretty good idea if I do say so myself :P I planted the Bamboo in the same sand I have at the bottom of my aquarium. The bamboo and sand are wrapped in a mesh (mosquito screening off of an old tent) and I put that in those plastic things you put in your sink for the sponge or to dry utensils. It is suction cupped to the aquarium glass. There are holes in the plastic so water flows through. The roots and about 2 inches of the Bamboo stem are submerged in the water, while the rest sticks out of the back of the aquarium.

I chose Lucky Bamboo because...

1) Its a nice looking plant
2) It needs a lot of water, therefore it absorbs a lot of toxins
3) Like all plants, it takes out CO2 in the water
4) It is rather fast growing (from what I've heard, I don't know if it is true). Faster growing plants need more nutrients (nitrogen, CO2, fish faeces, decomposing fish food), therefore removing more toxins and waste from the water.
5) A little light or a lot of light, either way it'll easily survive and grow

Please do correct me if anything I say is wrong... I am no plant expert.

www.youtube.com/user/OrangeEverything

125 Gallon Aquarium

1 Tiger Oscar
1 Lutino Oscar
1 Common Pleco
1 Salvini
7 Silver Dollars
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13

Small Fry replied the topic: Re: Lucky Bamboo...Toxin Remover?

That is how mine looks in my tank. I just have mine planted in the sand in separate areas on the tank :)I have 3 stalks of it poking out of my 33g planted tank. It does help process nitrates (toxins) thus reducing them in your tanks.
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 10

jacki.r3 replied the topic: Re: Lucky Bamboo...Toxin Remover?

I've washed the dirt off roots and dangle bamboo roots into water. some types of fish eat on the roots. As for treating nitites, when in a betta, I didn't have to change water as often, the fish like it for food, cover and apperently his was in better shape than without. I have since started ueing filtration in Betta tank, and it doesn't stay nearly as clean and safe. I have morenitrites and ammonia than I did with just bamboo. Could be onto something. you can also take cuttings and root them in water to create more plants. I have 6 trees now in my home, yes small trees. I bought a 4 inch piecrs 3 yrs ago. Again I just put roos in water until the new roots are big enough to plant or put in fish tank.Very easy plant to grow.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Lucky Bamboo...Toxin Remover?

I think plants take in carbon dioxide through their leaves during the photosynthesis process. So I don't think it is removing any CO2 from your tank. You'll have to get aquatic plants for that. something like this ricca ( sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/for/2802096680.html ) would be much more beneficial for your fish. It also introduces oxygen back into the tank.

You don't really need the sand. I had a single lucky bamboo grow from 6 inches to 5 feet in a glass vase with only water since 1997. Although it's not as fat as it could be since I was not fertilizing the plant.

I'll have to get one of those plastic sponge containers that you are using. The golden porthos I have on the top of my tank have all of the roots shooting all over the place, and a PITA to keep up right.

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: Lucky Bamboo...Toxin Remover?

Even if it doesn`t make any difference to your nitrates, it looks nice growing there like that :)
You can see in Small Fry`s pic its growing in the substrate and i know other people on here do that as well i cant remember who. Next time i see some i`m going to have a go at it.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• OrangeO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

OrangeO replied the topic: Re: Lucky Bamboo...Toxin Remover?

@Small Fry I tried to get stalks like yours but they only had woven ones like in my picture. It is really nice looking, but not as natural.

125 Gallon Aquarium

1 Tiger Oscar
1 Lutino Oscar
1 Common Pleco
1 Salvini
7 Silver Dollars

• OrangeO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

@jacki.r3 Plants and Wet Dry filters seem to be the only way to reduce nitrates. I'll see how effective this Lucky Bamboo is and keep you posted. Another reason why I put the sand, mesh and plastic was for it to hold in place and to protect the roots from my Silver Dollars. :pinch:

125 Gallon Aquarium

1 Tiger Oscar
1 Lutino Oscar
1 Common Pleco
1 Salvini
7 Silver Dollars

• OrangeO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

@Rocksor Thank you for correcting me :) It is true that Oxygen and CO2 exchange (photosynthesis) occurs through the leaves. And I do have other aquatic plants and air stones to take the CO2 out of the water. Glad I could give you an idea to improve your set up :)

125 Gallon Aquarium

1 Tiger Oscar
1 Lutino Oscar
1 Common Pleco
1 Salvini
7 Silver Dollars

• Thank you received: 13

Small Fry replied the topic: Re: Lucky Bamboo...Toxin Remover?

I was just in my local super market and saw them in the floral section. @ stalks for $9.99 Canadian. The next day I went in again to get milk and they were on for $4.99. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! LOL I like the look in my tank. It makes it look like green tree trunks :) My own little forest.

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: Lucky Bamboo...Toxin Remover?

OrangeO wrote: @Small Fry I tried to get stalks like yours but they only had woven ones like in my picture. It is really nice looking, but not as natural.

Not sure if you know already but your`s will grow in straight lines now or toward the nearest light source.
They get the twisted stems from growing them around hollow tubes and turning the pots, or whatever they are growing in, toward the light every day or so.

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds