Project: Oscarkeeping in heavily planted tank

• Thank you received: 0

el_oscuro replied the topic: Project: Oscarkeeping in heavily planted tank

If you can manage to keep plants in your tank, it will make keeping your Oscars much easier. A fish only aquarium is fundamentally unbalanced. In the natural environment, plants and other animals such as snails, clams and shrimp will eat the fish waste.

You are not going to be able to keep any shrimp or crabs in the tank. They will just be dinner. Snails and crabs are fine. I have about 15 Olive Nerites snails and about 5 freshwater clams and they really make a difference in water quality. The snails annihilated a bad hair algae problem I had and the clams basically do the same thing as the filter.

My Oscar likes moving everything around. It is his home after all. He of course moved all of my plants. In order to keep the plants from floating around, I use plant weight to keep them down. Once your Oscar has moved them to where he wants them, they should be able to take root. Oh, and replace your light at least once a year. While your old one may still work, it won't be putting out the right kind of light for plants.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Project: Oscarkeeping in heavily planted tank

really brought this one back from the grave.

and whats up with the spider? :unsure:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Thank you received: 0

el_oscuro replied the topic: Project: Oscarkeeping in heavily planted tank

A more recent edition to my planted Oscar tank is Lucky bamboo. Lucky bamboo can be grown in the water or outside. I have both, 2 in a filter element, and 4 more in the actual tank. Lucky bamboo is tough enough to stand up to Oscars.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds