Is it worth?

• Kaiser
  • Kaiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35

Kaiser created the topic: Is it worth?

I'm thinking of putting live plants in my O's tank to help bring down the nitrates. I already have a bunch of golden photos on my two HOBs but I feel like they're not doing much. Kaiden has never seemed interested/bothered by fake plants/rocks. I've had some in his tank before and he never touched them. I just ended up taking everything everything out since he's such a clumsy little clown and keeps banging on the driftwood lol.

I've heard Java Moss and Java Fern helps reduce nitrates. For an O's bioload, do you think that will be sufficient? Or do they only work good for less messy/smaller fish? If plants can help, are there any other type of plants you can suggest that's fully submersible?

Thanks in advance. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

ANYTHING to improve an Oscars environment is always worth a try! :)

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

Good luck!
There`s been a few threads on here with pics of lucky bamboo growing under water, i love how it looks and maybe i`ll try it some day if i see it for sale somewhere. I`ve tried loads of different plants over the years and it always ends up a mess, not saying don`t do it but for me i would rather bring nitrates down by doing a water change any day!

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• Kaiser
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

Thanks Miss Nicky and Roxy. :)

You're right, anything that can improve a pet's health is always worth a try. I'm just trying to see which will be the most effective way for me to bring down my nitrates. My situation isn't very ideal since my tap has at least 20ppm nitrates. I still do at least one 50% water change a week but I my nitrates are never below 40ppm.

I've heard about Lucky Bamboo but they say that they rot after awhile since they are not really aquatic plants. I would put them in HOBs but I already have my 2 HOBs filled with golden photos.

Does anyone know if Java Fern is as effective as Java Moss on eating nitrates? I can't seem to find any Java Moss in any stores nearby. Petsmart only sells Java Fern.

Any other suggestions of aquatic plants that could survive with low light? My aquarium is in the basement so it doesn't get natural sunlight and I just have LED lights.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

Lucky bamboo only rots when fully submerged. Get a plastic shower caddy from wal mart and only submerge up to 3-4 inches. I had one in my office in a vase for 13 years with flourescent light as the main source of light. It grew from 6 inches to 5 ft, with only water.

• Kaiser
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

Rocksor wrote: Lucky bamboo only rots when fully submerged. Get a plastic shower caddy from wal mart and only submerge up to 3-4 inches. I had one in my office in a vase for 13 years with flourescent light as the main source of light. It grew from 6 inches to 5 ft, with only water.

Yeah, exactly. That's why I don't think I can use bamboo. Unfortunately I need something that can be fully submerged. Like I said, I would put them on my HOBs but both are full of golden photos already. I can't add a shower caddy or anything that hangs from my tank because of the hood. It only has openings for 2 HOBs.

• Thank you received: 1

Goose13 replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

You could always build a moss wall on the back wall of your tank. It would give you a lot of surface covered with plants and should be pretty difficult for your oscar to demolish. We're going to build one on ours over the next couple of weeks.

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

Buy a floating fake plant. Then buy easy floating plants like Anacharis or water sprite. Weave the live plants into the fake one and in about a month you have a beautifully camouflaged mess of tangled live plants that the os will most likely leave alone. This won't lower nitrates directly however. True aquatic plants preferred form of nitrogen is ammonium. The aquatic plants will completely consume the ammo ia before it gets converted to nitrite and nitrate and slow down the nitrate creep.
Terrestrial plants are a different beast. Their preferred form of nitrogen is nitrate so they will directly lower nitrate levels. You are on the right track with the ivy cuttings but take them out of the hob and suction cup them directly into the tank. They consume far more nitrate in a low flow area of the system than a high flow area like a filter. I have researched this topic extensively and have experimented on several of my own tanks with the exact same results every time. Growth rate of the ivy and nitrate reduction were significantly higher with roots in the tank vs in the hob
Plus the long roots look cool and give fry a natural hiding place.

I have no idea why the water bill is so high

• Thank you received: 18

mroylands replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

i have a big planter i the middle of my tank with a few different plants its a glased bird bole 1inc high 8inc wide (got know idear of the names) the fish love them the end up eating them and pulling them out so i buy a few every 2-3 week for them i would love to see some photos of how (capt dave and goose 13)constructions i would love to give it a go my self (i look at plants as fresh veges for my fish and something to play with)

if life is dishing u lemons,find someone who is getting vodka and another with lemonaid
and have a dame good party!!

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

Airline tubing suction cups

I have no idea why the water bill is so high

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds