Is it worth?

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

Now remember if you use ro or distilled water it has no kh or gh so elements and compounds will have to be added to it to make it habitable fir fish

I have no idea why the water bill is so high

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

Kaiser wrote: Thanks to both of you! I definitely want to give that a try.

@Sosban: Is it true that using an RO filter actually waste water? I've been thinking of getting one out of desperation since my tap has at least 20ppm nitrates. I'll definitely give the bioplastics a try though would it work better if I put it in a phosban reactor or is it just the same as putting it in a canister?

Thanks again!

Yeah RO wastes about two thirds, hense why im also useing heavy plantation. At the moment I'm doing twice weekly 5%, probably going decrease to do 5% per week. With RO water you don't need to condition it, all chlorine and metals are removed in the process. So you claw back a bit of money there.

I personally dont mix the RO water with tap water because my tap water is near 40ppm. I go on that if you mix you undo all that work the RO system did and that mixed water would need to be replaced sooner than pure RO water.

I don't know how the reactor works, so I don't know whether it would work better in the phosban or the canister.I would suspect it would work better in the reactor; but before you do go with bioplastics bear in mind you need to change the resin on a regular basis (monthly I think dont have the packet with me) and it can be quite expensive if you plan on relying on it alone. I probably wont change it as often, probably going to remove it next time I clean the filter because my RO water seems to be working a treat!

On a side note I did buy distilled water, the water from the bottle was without nitrates; within a few days I was right up to 40ppm again. I think there maybe traces of nitrate or nitrate produceing bugs in there that are simply dormant when its on the shelf

Pothos Ivy sounds good, I could just drill a few holes in the top of my canopy.

I'm doing small water changes so I already have alot of kh and gh, I'm relying on my plants moss and air bubbler will keep the levels sufficent. If I was doing twice weekly 20% changes it would be worth thinking about. If I did a 50% change I would mix with tap water. If something starts to go wrong and the nitrates are fine then baking soda and limestone will sort it.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

I will speak for plants... I keep a ton of them in my tank and my water parameters are always pristine! I also do water changes but I know that the plants help my tank out a lot also and they have been growing very nicely! I need to post some pics of them this weekend to show how well they have done..

I feel if they are in nature they should be in the tank also they have to help lol

Btw I have not only an oscar but 5 SD (large) in my tank and I feed them well and they leave my plants alone for the most part And some are tied down and others are just in my substrate!! plus I have a UG filter lol and it all works I swear !! lol

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 5

donk232 replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

my tank is pretty heavy planted now, my oscar resisted at first after finding plants he likes they are left alone. i had tons of java fern doing great then one day i moved it. after that he destroys any and all java fern. im not sure why sherbie hates java fern so much but they grow slow and i dont think they absorb much nitrate.

mishka replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

Like I've mentioned earlier about swordplants.. I would like to try it when my Oscar because my mom was successful with it but I can't even add a fake plant in there, my Oscar hates plants, he will always dig them up and grab them in his mouth and swim around with it in his mouth like a dog with a toy, he hates plants, but I would like to try out Sword plants.

If I ever do try it I will let you know :)

• Kaiser
  • Kaiser's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

I'll give swordplants a try too. :) And stick my photos at the back of the tank like Capt Dave mentioned.

I guess I'm lucky...Kaiden has never seemed interested in plants or any decor for that matter. I used to have rocks, fake plants and a driftwood in my tank. I just decided to take them out because he's a clumsy little clown and keeps scraping himself. I also wanted him to have as much swimming space as possible since I only have a 55 gallon tank then. But with the 125g, I'll try my luck on real plants.

Keeping my fingers crossed that my boy doesn't have a sudden attitude change. :laugh:

mishka replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

You just never know with your Oscar until you try it :)

Like my little JD. I about had a heart attack and stood at the tank with a fish net for 30 minutes straight just watching them because I was so ready to take the JD out but surprisingly enough, they are good tank mates and my Oscar wants nothing to do with him.

Just never know ;)

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Re: Is it worth?

I had this with my sev; when we got him I'd read up they were docile and wouldnt let an Oscar beat them up "the best oscar tankmate" So I figured the little o would decide it owned the place and the sev wouldn't care. The opposite happened the sev decided it owned the place and just to make sure it was nipping the Oscar quite badly. I saw him hang onto the Oscar fin and turn on the spot, the oscar stopped useing the fin for a while I was worried he'd dislocated it or something. The Oscar is mine and the sev belongs to my gf I don't have a spare tank so I really wanted to chuck the damm thing in a bucket, for picking on my o.

In the end my o bucked up and began to turn on the sev, but the sev is definatly still the dominant one. I think that might change in a few months. They seem to put up with each other at the moment. I can feed them at the same end of the tank with minor sqaubbles.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds