Live Plants

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Live Plants

@firestorm try www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=768

@kaiser I have no science proof or anything like that but I can tell you how I did it... When I originally kept plants in my tank they were solely for food because OZ would eat everything and I felt that the SD had no chance to get food. They used to smash plants left and right but I was happy because they were eating B) !!

but then I started to like plants and Wanted to keep them but I had created monsters! so I got some fake plants put them in the tank and they would try to chew on them then stop.I made sure I feed them a lot and also got them liking blood worms and beef heart ... then from that I put a lot of fake plants in and just a few live plant after a while and then a few more live and then a few more! And I always put in a lot of plants not just like one or 2 like I used to and now I just get minor chewing and it helps me prune the plants ne way..

1.) So I don't know if they do not know if they are confused on which plants are which

2.) or there is just so many they don't want to eat them they like the hiding places

3.) or I have feed them so much meat and other algae wafers they do not want to eat my plants

But it works I will post a thread tonight if I have time

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 35

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: Live Plants

Thanks for the advice! I'll try mixing fake plants with my live ones. :)

• Firestorm8215
  • Firestorm8215's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Re: Live Plants

Thanks for all the info Ehall. I will most certainly look at that site and give this a shot. Maybe he is still too little to tear them up too bad and will just get used to having them in there.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

You are both more then welcome hope it works out for you! I love seeing tanks with plants in them makes them look so nice!! and yeah maybe he will get used to them... That website has lots of variety so just skim you could shot another thread or PM me when you make your decision

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Re: Live Plants

Firestorm. I've done exactly the same thing although I had 10 plants in my tank before I put the fish in and ive had plants in for two months. Out of the original 10, 5 have survived, 2 tall grass things have been eaten by the sev, the other 3 I think just didn't get enough light and gradually died.

Out of the ones that have survived the Oscar had one or two experimental tugs and left them alone ever since. The severum which I have and is a bit bigger/older has had a chew at almost everything I've put in the tank, but some more than others.

I have five varieties which are generally left alone, they are: The common java fern, anubias nana, two others which I forget what they are (I think ones another anubias variety). A java windelov, which is a new addition last week so still gets a few tugs to see if it tastes different the 5th time (funnily enough the O not the sev). The amazon sword from the firs 10 was practically stripped when I put it in, but has survived this ordeal and is growing new leaves which are being left alone.

I also put in some moss balls, one has been completely eaten and the sev seems to be starting on a second. The Oscar hasn't touched them.

Out of the lot I would say the anubias nana has received the least damage. In fact the java fern which is supposed to be big cichlids proof had a few bites from the sev, but the anubias nana hasn't even been licked.

I can take a few pics if you want to have a look at the varieties, personally the windelov and anubias nana are my faves.

• Thank you received: 35

Kaiser replied the topic: Re: Live Plants

If you don't mind taking some pics to share, that would be great! :)

I only have some amazon swordplants in my tank right now but I'm hoping to add more plants and varieties of them. I'm just waiting to see if I can actually make it flourish before adding more. Do you put any fertilizers for your plants? I just recently used some API root tabs and leaf zone to hopefully help them grow.

• Firestorm8215
  • Firestorm8215's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Re: Live Plants

I dont care even if he destroys them. I would think tearing up plants is something natural that they do , so even better for him. Are all the plants that are being sold commercialy safe for Oscars ? Or do I have to figure out what could potentially harm him ?

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

I do not add any fertilizer to my gravel my fish do plenty of that! Also I do not know of any plants that are for sale that are bad for fish but I am not 100% sure sorry :blush: ... but I think you will be ok

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Re: Live Plants

Pictures taken will be up tonight. I dont use fertilizer on the grounds that the fish supply plenty, bear in mind that fertizler used on fields and plant growth everywhere is concentrated nitrates. Nitrates are plant feed, so by adding fertilizer you have to do water changes more often, and more water changes mean you would have to add more fertilizer.........

I considered adding a c02 diffuser because I have juvis that probably dont produce much c02 between them. Ive havent put one in yet and everything is going fine.

Firestorm, okay if you dont mind your oscar ripping them up you may end up with a monthly plant bill; do not underestimate the limit of an oscars destruction. It could get quite expensive.

I don't think there are any poisnous plants that you could put in. Even if there are there instincts will tell them what they shouldnt eat. I wouldnt worry about it to much. It might be why there not even touching the anubias I have.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

yeah fish have instincts they know what to eat and what not to eat. And I'm telling you I have all those fish and my plants are fine I think it is worth a try if you want to firestorm!! they look so amazing IMHO

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds