Using plants form a wild pond for an aquqrium

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a created the topic: Using plants form a wild pond for an aquqrium

As I often do hiking herein the Lebanese mountains, yesterday I discovered some high altitude small shallow ponds with some magnificient plants and algae inside.
I am considering bringing some of those plants to my fish tank.
Is it a good idea ?
Will they tolerate a heated aquarium ?
Last time I did something similar it was with only one plant the fish seemed to like its taste especially the pleco and it disappeared within a week while other plants remained.
I wouldn't mind if the plant becomes food, there will be no pleco in the green terror tank anyway.
Do I have to tank the plant with the substrate around the roots or I just take the plant.
I know there are a variety of plants in the wild here and the answer will depend upon each plant I am using but I need some general advice,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: Using plants form a wild pond for an aquqrium

it depends on alot of things here and Im not the best with plants but what to consider are;

1 are you allowed to take the plants? Here in UK many plants are protected and can not be taken, I admit I may have broke this rule before now.

2 depending on plant depends on what it can tolerate water conditions, light, heat are all factors but different to each plant.

3 If you do I would quarantine for at least 2weeks and then maybe put in with a fish that you dont care so much for as they may have parasites, be posionous or other iussues that make them not ideal.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Using plants form a wild pond for an aquqrium

jnet wrote: it depends on alot of things here and Im not the best with plants but what to consider are;

3 If you do I would quarantine for at least 2weeks and then maybe put in with a fish that you dont care so much for as they may have parasites, be posionous or other iussues that make them not ideal.

best point to consider, many people forget to QT their plants, and get all the nasty stuff along with the plants.
Like a snail infestation, and i wouldn't want that to happen in your tank. :(

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds