My new and first planted tank

• aus-car
  • aus-car's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

aus-car created the topic: My new and first planted tank

Hi all
Just a few phone pics of my new (and first) planted tank which I literally just filled. I will take some camera pics once it all clears up and the plants have settled in, no doubt i will be re-arranging things as i change my mind about placement.

Tank is about 70 litres, Im using Eco-Complete for substrate, 3x24W T5HO lighting and currently using an Aquaclear30 HOB filter. I have a Fluval CO2 88g pressurised kit to use on this tank.

Orignally planned to have shrimp and a small bunch of Tetra but may just end up going with a few nice looking Tetra if they won't be compatible with Cherry Reds.

I'll probably be asking alot of questions here being so new to the planted side of aquariums so feel free to jump in this thread with any tips or tricks no matter how basic it may sound to you, I'll most likely be able to make use of the information ;)

I'm going to attach some moss to the driftwood to add a bit of foliage to the branches.

Thanks for looking

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

Big-Ken is our high-tech planted tank guy, he knows his way around fertilisers and CO2.

I'm really chiming in to say that it's beautiful.

I must ask, what kind of grass is that? It looks really stiff - like mondo grass? I'm afraid many places sell terrestrial plants as if they were aquarium plants, and then you end up with dead grass fairly soon (in my case, two weeks).

• aus-car
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

aus-car replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

It's a type of hair grass, whos scientific name escapes me at the moment. It's a tall version rather than the dwarf variety you see quite often in tanks. I want to get my hands on the dwarf HG to try and make a carpet over the substrate.

• Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

I am rather worried about the absence of the lid.
Shrimps and tetras are excellent jumpers especially shrimp.

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

nice tank you always make good setup so Im excited to see the moss growing and so on :)

shrimp are great and there are bigger types if you are worried they will get eaten. bamboo shrimp are bigger

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Thank you received: 24

JoseO replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

WOW thats an amazing looking tank. Like the team here i guess there needs to a lid that can still get light inside..........may a custom made would be good.

• aus-car
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Thanks for the positive words, the real test will be if I can keep these plants alive and let them flourish, it certainly requires a bit of patience this.

I have read that it is a good idea to let the plants get accustomed to being planted and establish a root system for about a month or so before starting to dose fertilisers? I this right? Initially Im probably going to go with Seachem's 'plant pack-fundamentals' as a starting point.

I also think I might have too much light on this tank which could cause problems with algae later on, at least I have to option to turn either one or 2 of the globes in the unit off, according to the situation at hand.

As for the lid, the tank did come with a 2 peice cover glass, but I may have to come up with something to mount it, as the brackets for the light are positioned where the mounts for the lid need to be, I actually like the look of no lid on this tank but it's not very practical once the fish are added.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

aus-car wrote: It's a type of hair grass, whos scientific name escapes me at the moment. It's a tall version rather than the dwarf variety you see quite often in tanks. I want to get my hands on the dwarf HG to try and make a carpet over the substrate.

ah, thank you!

I love the look of those carpets as well :)

• aus-car
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

So I did a bit of searching around following the link to the plantedtank database, and have figured out what plants I initially purchased.
Currently I have in there:
2x Hygrophila difformis- Water Wisteria
1x Limnophila sessiliflora- Asian Ambulia
3x pots of Eleocharis Vivipara- Hair Grass
1x clump of Java Moss, which I need to attach to the driftwood with some green sewing string? I don't know the correct term for it, sewing isn't my scene :cheer:
I chose these plants because I like the look of them and they have very fine leaves which go well in a smaller (2ft) aquarium, but upon reading a bit about them, they seem to be ideal beginner plants that are easy to care for and grow relatively fast compared to some other varieties out there. :lol:

Everything appears to be healthy still but it's only been 5 days since startup.
The wisteria is supposed to grow like a weed so I'll let that take up space at the back and focus on more foreground plants next time I go to buy some.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

I have grown Wisteria b4 and yes it does grow fast and tall I loved it (no to mention it grew in a tank with 5 SD)

but I like the start of this tank for sure and cant wait to see what you do with the driftwood !!

I would love to put moss on mine but I have to get enough that it wont all get picked off in 2 days my my severum :pinch:

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds