My new and first planted tank

• aus-car
  • aus-car's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

aus-car replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

ehall67 wrote: I have grown Wisteria b4 and yes it does grow fast and tall I loved it (no to mention it grew in a tank with 5 SD)

Wow that alone is testament to the staying power of this plant, I like it more already :laugh:

Should make it easier for an idiot like me to keep it alive, I honestly have zero interest in gardening and outdoor plants but the fact these are in an aquarium is what made me want to give aquatic plants a go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

aus-car wrote:

ehall67 wrote: I have grown Wisteria b4 and yes it does grow fast and tall I loved it (no to mention it grew in a tank with 5 SD)

Wow that alone is testament to the staying power of this plant, I like it more already :laugh:

Should make it easier for an idiot like me to keep it alive, I honestly have zero interest in gardening and outdoor plants but the fact these are in an aquarium is what made me want to give aquatic plants a go.

no doubt it was a great plant I had a lot of it so they could not focus on one and it really grew !! and yes I think aqua-scape is awesome also im sure you will do good things with it

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

I can also confirm the wisteria grows like a weed. I prune every week to keep some swimming space in the little tank.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

You don't have very much plant volume so I would wait on the ferts. You're going to find that the fluval co2 systems are going to cost you a bunch of money, those refills are expensive and you have to use there refills cause they changed the thread pitch to force you to use them instead of regular 88g co2 tanks. You're better off saving up and switching to a pressurized system, also that is ALOT of light for a tank with low light plants and a basic co2 system, I would recommend just running one bulb till the plants fill out more and you can get a co2 system that can push more bps other wise you will be algae farming in no time

• aus-car
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Thanks for the tips Ken mate I'll take that on board.

I had already switched to 2 globes just after I set it up, but if you say 1x24W T5HO globe is enough I can do that. When I bought the light unit I wasn't thinking it would be the best option for this tank right now, it was more along the lines of having acces to 3 24W tubes should cover a range of applications, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it..

As for the Fluval CO2, if you think it's not the best option I could probably end up selling it, being brand new in box. Buying alot of my fish and accessories at cost price has it's advantages, there are massive profit margins on aquarium products you wouldn't believe, at least over here in Oz.

In terms of plant volume, in your opinion how many more do you think I should add before starting a fertiliser regimen? I don't like the idea of being an algae farmer :sick:

Also what are your thoughts on using liquid carbon? these plants I have in the tank are said to be good beginner plants that will do OK in low-tech setups, if I were to do without pressurised Co2 for a while and maybe dose with Flourish Excel would that be worth a shot or am I wasting my time?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my moronic questions :P

Here is a link to my latest update on my planted 55g running 1 t5ho bulb 23" from the substrate and getting a daily double dose of excel and twice a week fertilization
www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/38-plants/283840-planted-tank-update

I would add more wisteria before fertilizing, it does a good job of sucking up excess so algae can't use it. Excel works good but you will never be able to go high light but I would suggest you stay low/medium light til you get the hang of it, it allows a margin of error so you don't have a tank full of algae.

The fluval kit is good but in the us the refills cost $12 each and will last 1-2 months on a tank your size or go pressurized and a 5lb tank cost $20 here and will last over a year but will cost between $150-200 but it can be used on a tank of any size where the fluval is only big enough for smaller tanks

Check out this chart to dual in you're lighting, its not perfect but will get you close

• aus-car
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

So as a bit of an update, the plants are going along nicely. Im seeing new growth in all of them, I have removed the driftwood peice for the time being as it takes up quite a bit of space, and added 2 pots of baby tears in its place. Im hoping they will start to spread outwards. There is a big piece of hornwart floating in the tank to take up excess nutrients and Im seeing only a small amount of brown algae, this could be to do with the amount of time the light is on, which Im still working out.

I did an 'insta-cycle' by removing a handful of susbtrat pro from one of my Eheim canisters to go in the Aquaclear HOB. Fish wise I have 10 Neon Tetras, 10 Silver tip Tetras and 2 Blue Rams. I guess these fish rule out the possibilty of adding any cherry red shrimp as they will probably get eaten.

On a plus note, after just over a week of being in their new tank, the Blue Rams have paired up and have spawned on the big rock (I think it happened yesterday), its really hard to get a picture in that part of the tank but I'll give it a go. If a fish like a Blue Ram is thriving and choosing to breed in the tank, then the water conditions must be good. I seem to hear people having issues keeping them alive let alone breeding them. All the fish look happy swimming through the underwater jungle.

• Thank you received: 10

2Tigers replied the topic: Re: My new and first planted tank

I can't wait to see a picture of that tank with fish in it. Looked amazing the first time, can't wait to see the updates.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aus-car

• aus-car
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Some recent shots from today

The Ambulia and Wisteria now touch the surface, the brown on the leaves is algae at first I thought they were dying off. Time to put a baby Bristlenose to work :P

Tetras hanging out, it's very hard to get a shot of these little buggers.

Looks full from this angle

New growth is a good thing

Mystery duckweed that just appeared out of nowhere :pinch:

One of the Rams

Here are the Rams' first spawn, I had to use my phone for these as it has a close-up/macro function, my DSLR wouldn't focus that close using a non macro lens.

These fish are very small so you can imagine these eggs are tiny, cant wait for them to hatch. I might temporarily move the Tetras into another tank so the don't pig out on the fry.

Thanks for looking.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds