Planted aquarium update!

• tjwalley
  • tjwalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

tjwalley created the topic: Planted aquarium update!

I was very nervous about trying live plants again because of the lack of success i've had in the past, but 3 weeks in and they are all thriving!! One of the big sword plants i got already has a little starter sprouted about a half inch out of the substrate!! All the leaves look green and healthy and the grassy plants i got have a big mess of roots growing! I will post a pic as soon as the tannins from the driftwood clear up a little more, i like the tint it adds to the water but against my baby blue background it kindda looks dirty i think. So i'll share when it clears up or when i paint the back of the tank black. Just wanted to share the news, i'm pretty stoked about it actually working this time!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Planted aquarium update!

Glad it's working so far!

Went through the same thing myself, couldn't even grow java fern. Seems the problem was trying to keep plants with mbuna, and not plantkeeping in general. Now I have plants everywhere :D (except with the mbuna, where they do not last, ever)

I'd like to see, I promise I won't call your tank dirty (much :P).

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

tjwalley replied the topic: Planted aquarium update!

I had to crop the pics to get them to size so the brown tint doesn't show up much :) but it also made the pic a little burry lookin. I hope they're all the right size to upload.

When I got this the roots were maybe a quarter inch...and now

Attachment image_2013-01-08.jpg not found

The new sprout is on the bottom right

Attachment image_2013-01-08-2.jpg not found

Not sure on the name of this plant, but nice color and thick leaves still

Attachment image_2013-01-08-3.jpg not found

I just kindda tucked the roots of this one into a little corner where the wood twists anda couple "branches" come together in the middle. Not sure how the roots look but the leaves are getting bigger already

Attachment image_2013-01-08-4.jpg not found

And an off topic ?, earlier tonight i dropped a piece of cabbage attached to a lead root weight down right in front of my pleco and he kindda swam over it and took off....do plecos not eat cabbage?
And also when i put my hand in to grab one of the plants my O's swam right up and even let me "pet" him, so i took a vid. If it works i'm going to try posting it in the "Oscar Fish" section here in a minute. I thought it was pretty cool so feel free to check it out (if i can upload it from my phone that is)
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Planted aquarium update!

Hmmm... I wish my swords would look like that, lol.

What do you use to fertilize your plants with? What kind of lighting as well?

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

theniceguy - thanks! It's kind of a ghetto lighting i use, i got just one bulb awhile back when i took a second try at live plants just to see if it would help...and it didnt. Probably because my dempseys wouldnt leave them alone. So i have one of the Flora Sun bulbs in one fixture and i'm not sure what bulb is in the other ( came used with the tank.) every few days i move the fixtures to opposite sides. And when i planted them i put one of these tabs under the roots of the plants that are buried in the gravel.

Attachment image_2013-01-09.jpg not found

Attachments:

• Thank you received: 55

theniceguy9112 replied the topic: Planted aquarium update!

Time for me to go shopping... I've been using a liquid fertilizer, but maybe the tabs will do better for my plants.

• Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Planted aquarium update!

Nina_W wrote: Glad it's working so far!

Went through the same thing myself, couldn't even grow java fern. Seems the problem was trying to keep plants with mbuna, and not plantkeeping in general. Now I have plants everywhere :D (except with the mbuna, where they do not last, ever)

I'd like to see, I promise I won't call your tank dirty (much :P).

I always add live algae I am growing in my pond to the yellow labs tank, they do disappear fairly quickly, I consider them as clean food that prevents bloat and doesn't pollute my water rather than decorations :)

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Planted aquarium update!

That mystery plant... I'd bet it's an anubias, probably anubias nana. Check me up on that, because identifying plants is difficult from pictures.

The plants and the tank looks fantastic :) And I barely see any tannins!

Now we wait for your oscars to start gardening.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Planted aquarium update!

plants look good man glad you decided to undertake the task of doing them!! I really enjoy plants in a tank!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Yeah! Anubias nana! I got so many at the same time I had a hard time keeping all the names straight, but that is what that one was! And hopefully the O's while sleep through their gardening classes as youngins and grow up to be horticulture majors! Lol

Ehall - thanks man! And thanks for the advice of planting a whole bunch at once! I still have plans of getting some Jungle Vals too! And I gotta get a few moss balls still too

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds