120 gallon planted tank

• Thor84
  • Thor84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • GREASE MONKEY
  • Thank you received: 7

Thor84 created the topic: 120 gallon planted tank

So I finally have 5 minutes to post this. I am planning on rehoming some fish from the 210 to make room for the oscars. And then I am going to plant the 120. I want some input as to what the best substrate, lighting and co2 setup would be.

The tank is 48"x24"x24" and has glass tops.
I'm running 2 rena xp3 canisters.
I was thinking about 100lbs of black eco-complete for substrate. Or ADA amazonia if I can find it.
I was looking at a quad t5 ho for lighting, but the more I read, the more I think this might be overkill.
And for co2, im wanting a pressurized setup. Are the regulators and equipment all threaded the same?

Basically, Ken, I want your tank. :woohoo:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: 120 gallon planted tank

Did you read through Ken's stickies in the Plants section of the forum?

• Thor84
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • GREASE MONKEY

Thor84 replied the topic: 120 gallon planted tank

Nah, too lazy ;) .
Yeah I did. I guess a dual t5 would be plenty according to that chart. I just don't want to pull the trigger on a dual at first, then have to buy more lighting later.
Bad thing about the research I've done is that there is a ton of conflicting info. So I would like to see what the consesus is here.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: 120 gallon planted tank

Lol welcome to the planted tank world where none of the info out there makes much sense and no one wants to help. The best place to start is with what species of plants do you want to grow? What kind of fish do you want? How much do you want to spend?

You don't have to have high light and co2 for a tank like mine, i run low-med with excel dosing and everything grows great i am just limited to what i can grow, i switched off a light and shut off the gas a month ago cause i don't have time for a high tech tank to much trimming and glass scrapping to keep it looking nice

• Thor84
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • GREASE MONKEY

As far as plants go, I was kinda looking at something, and anything....lol.
I'm thinking swords, anubais I would like a carpet of hair grass or micro sword. Just the usual really, im kinda limited in what is available near me.
I have been somewhat successful with my 60 gallon planted. Not thriving, but more than surviving. Im thinking the swords I have might do better when the root tabs I ordered show up.
How about this for co2 a system?
www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+9935&pcatid=9935

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: 120 gallon planted tank

cool thor, sounds like a fun project.

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: 120 gallon planted tank

sounds really cool 120 gallons of plants!

but whats going in it again Oscars? really? better plant them deep lol!

but will look amazing

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thor84
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • GREASE MONKEY

No oscars. Lmao. I know better than that, I dont even have fake plants in the oscar tank.

Im moving the o's to the 210 after I make room for them in there.
Then I will have nothing but small fish, or at least mild mannered fish in the 120 planted.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: 120 gallon planted tank

Thor84 wrote: No oscars. Lmao. I know better than that, I dont even have fake plants in the oscar tank.

Im moving the o's to the 210 after I make room for them in there.
Then I will have nothing but small fish, or at least mild mannered fish in the 120 planted.

LMAO OOOHHH OK haha!

sorry I was confused and thinking he is going to put a lot of work into this tank to have it trashed every now and again

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: 120 gallon planted tank

With those plants high light and co2 is not needed so its hard to pick a light and co2 system, do you plan to get really heavy into plants??

The info out there is so contradicting cause there are ALOT of diffrent ways to skin this cat and some stuff has to be worked out in trial and error. Im having a hard time finding the words to help cause i remember when i was in your shoes and i had these grand plans to build an epic planted tank with a lush gound cover and i dove in head first spent a bunch of money and did alot of work only to find that a high tech planted tank is a TON more work than i though and had time to do. I was dosing ferts and fiddling with the co2 on a daily basis, twice weekly trimming plants and toping off water, and once a week 50% wc (which took twice as long due to the slow rate you have to refill to not disturb the substrate) in the end i found that i could have a beautiful lush tank without all that

I dont know alot about co2 since i only ran it for 3 months but that kit would be fine on a 55g but the regulator, tubing, and timer are the only things worth using your tank is too big for a glass diffuser and the bubble counter looks like cheap plasticrap. To diffuse you are going to need to build a reactor and then use powerheads to help distribute and prevent dead spots, these links plans the two the best DIY reactors in the hobby:

Cerge reactor- www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110100
Rex reactor- www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22296

these run inline with a canisters output, the rex reactor is the best of the two at complete diffusion but it slows your output down more than the cerge reactor.

The thing with co2 is that you cant just run a little co2 you have to go all or nothing, if you run just a little your tank will be overtaken by black brush algae. Co2 saturation need to be at 30ppm when everything shuts off at the end of the day and anything above 35ppm is the danger zone for fish so when your running co2 your walking that cliff edge and there is very little room for error, if you run co2 its not a matter of if you kill fish its when and anybody that runs co2 that tells you diffrent lying. I find in planted tanks your either a plant keeper that has fish or your a fish keeper that has plants and your approach to this tank depends on where you fall. Also your sucess with co2 relyies with research and hands on experience, make all your changes with the system slowly.

It feel like im trying to talk you out of your plans but im really not trying to i just want to give you as much of my experience so you can make a better decision. When it comes to lights, bulbs, and co2 systems its pays off to drop cash on the good stuff. Cheap lights and bulbs wont put off as much as they state where expensive ones will put off more and cheap co2 systems will "help" you kill your fish.

To answer your questions in your first post:

Ecocomplete and ADA aquasoil are both great planting subs but have you looked into the cost for ADA?? i wouldnt be surprised if you dropped $200 on a tank that size

Yes all co2 stuff is universal for the most part

A quad light will be overkill on stuff like swords, anabias, hairgrass, hygros, ect but not if you want things like HC, ricca, downi, mosses other than java so it depends on your long term goals and how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thor84

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds