moss can I use wild?

• jnet
  • jnet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182

jnet created the topic: moss can I use wild?

I am guessing this will kick up the response no dont be stupid ;) but I was thinking I live near alot of small ponds and woodlands could I get moss from there and cultivate it? I am going to use old top filter trays to grow it in before adding to tanks so there would be a quarantine time. Would this moss grow and become established in the tanks or will it just die off?

I already have java moss and moss balls but its really slow going and everyone tells me just get java it grows like wild fire. I buy it and it spaces apart around my tank and dosent grow.

Any tips

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 8

smokeryoudrinkplayeryouget replied the topic: moss can I use wild?

lota of crittiers in moss

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

jnet replied the topic: moss can I use wild?

yea I know I did some biospheres last year with water and soil from the local ponds it was really interesting but I didnt keep them.

I would check they were all good before putting in tank I mean I want to get establish for atleast 2 months out of tank in water before sinking into tank.

I used to have some fresh water mussels that I rescues from a dried up river bed and they were fine in my tanks

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: moss can I use wild?

hey,dear.

i rembered i got java mossa while ago...and ever with my "greenthumbs couldn't get that stuff going.
But in my GSP tank,brackish water, it grew like crazy.
Plants should be quarantined anyhow...i'd try it outside your tank, and see what it does.
I expierienced that the moss neeeds quite a lot of daylight....

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: moss can I use wild?

I would advise against it....just because you may not be able to see any critters in that moss, does not mean they aren't in there.....will spread like wildfire in your tank

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 0

Bracket replied the topic: Re:Re: moss can I use wild?

I put wild pond plants into a tank once years ago and after about a week we kept finding mayflies in our house and couldn't figure out where they were coming from, until I saw one emerge from the water in the tank, along with his larva buddies. It was neat to have the whole birth cycle happen but grossed me out because I'm really not fond of mayflies.

So be careful because a houseful of flying insects isn't very fun.

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

jnet replied the topic: moss can I use wild?

not sure I am going to use the moss Ive looked into it and many are not aquatic and like stated I just dont know whats gonna be in it. Which was fine for biosperes but Ive had pleco 10years and just the tohught of giving her something by my mistakes is not good. I still regret getting those stupid plants form a5 aquatics and causing the worse ick I have ever seen.

I think if I cant get the planted type tank I want I might go black water as all the research I have found states shrimp prefer dark shaded tanks, and the leafs will be great for them and the bns. Thinking this idea along with anubias plants java ferns that kind of thing would look good

thanks for advice guys :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds