Asian friend gave me a good idea

• Gaarakilla19
  • Gaarakilla19's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29

Gaarakilla19 created the topic: Asian friend gave me a good idea

My asian friend from FB , gave me a great idea, we are both part of a oscar group and he suggested since i do live 5 mi from 3 beaches i should find some driftwood n soak it n use it , then he suggested i started selling it , hmmm good idea i think but how long to soak?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Asian friend gave me a good idea

I am not really sure to be perfectly honest. The wood I have always got for my Aquariums has been treated properly. In many cases the wood is ancient sale is perfectly safe. The last thing you want to happen is would started to rot. I'm sure that someone with a little more experience on this matter will keep you some good advice.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Asian friend gave me a good idea

hmm true , would i have to treat this driftwood if i found some to use in my aquarium? i know ill have to let it soak n let it break down all the loose stuff and all ;o

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Asian friend gave me a good idea

You would have to make it as sterile as possible. Soaking really does nothing, as it came from water to begin with. Boiling it would kill all potential parasites, but it may fall apart. Pouring bleach on, giving a good rinse after, then letting sun dry would be the better option. Better still would be to purchase a small chunk from lfs, with slate bottom. Soak that a couple weeks, changing water if you see tanins coloring the water.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Asian friend gave me a good idea

Darn sounded like a good idea :S , im broke as it is haha tryna find a way to make a couple bucks n this sounded well since driftwood everywhere is exspensive n no local fish stores but one i havnt been too yet, other stores is petco/smart n those are blah

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Asian friend gave me a good idea

I agree I grew up in a coastal area too. Some of the stuff you see washed up you wouldnt want to touch. I sure as hell wouldn't put anything that can absorb anything in my tank. YOu will never get it clean enough and whats left will almost always leech out.

Rocks on the other hand; in alot of places its illegal to take anything from the beach. That said I know that putting them in the oven for a couple of hours then putting them in your tank is fine........A freind told me.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Asian friend gave me a good idea

I collect beach rocks and driftwood from the beach as well since I live next to the Atlantic Ocean and many beaches. It is illegal in most places to remove stuff from the beach, mostly rocks but some places you can't touch any thing. I get my rocks from areas that have been piled up by machines to form water breaks and driftwood I get on the beach. Get wood that looks clean, and is hard. Most of the wood you find that is clean and hard, will be as hard as rock and very sun baked/bleached. As well it will have very little to no soft debris left to be removed. Maybe some bark to reveal the hard baked wood underneath. This is the wood I look for. I remove any soft material left, give it a good scrub with a wire brush in any nooks and crannies and then use my extreamly hot tap water to give it a few good soaks and rinses. Then I use it. I haven't had any problems result from getting beach wood this way. Nobody from our local club has either. Most of us get our wood from the beach. It will take months to sink though. My last piece took about 8 months to sink on its own. For rocks I just collect, scrub, rinse, place in hot tap water and soak for a bit then use them. Use vinegar to test them if your not sure what your getting for rocks. I wouldn't suggest baking or boiling rocks as they have been known to explode while doing this. Also make sure the rocks are cooled down before placing them in your tank. Warm or hot rocks will cause a large temp spike.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Asian friend gave me a good idea

Removeing rocks that have been placed as a means of sea defence is also illegel in alot of places because they were paid for and put there for a reason.

Any removal of items from shorelines (includeing sand) is considered depramental to sea defences, hense why it is illegal in the first place.

The reason behind baking the rocks in an oven is to stralise them; as apposed to useing chemicals. At the emprature I was talkinga bout you wouldnt be able to pick them up; putting them in the tank without allowing them to cool I thought would be fairly obvious.

Be careful when heating in the oven; some rocks will explode!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Asian friend gave me a good idea

Yes those rocks are illegal to remove as well. I take them from there as to minimize environmental impact. Still not legal though. I have collected in areas where they have been removed completely from any beach area. Just harder to get.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Gaarakilla19
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Gaarakilla19 replied the topic: Re:Asian friend gave me a good idea

Hmm so overall what would u suggest i get in my 55 gal bare tank? just one oscar will be in it , i want him to be very happy n love his tank :o with still space to swim ofc! , also does tank water evaporate over weeks or so?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds