Is this an aquatic plant?

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH created the topic: Is this an aquatic plant?

Is this plant aquatic? I had recently bought a different plant at my lfs that was not aquatic and removed it. Now I got this one and it's not doing so well. I'm new with plants and don't remember the name although I think it was something melon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Is this an aquatic plant?

Not sure of the plant you have circled but just a heads up on the lucky bamboo to the left,, it won't survive totally submersed like that. The stalk is ok in the water but the leaves need to be out of the water. It will slowly die if left under water.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Is this an aquatic plant?

The one circled looks to be a amazon sword, are you using root tabs?? Try placing one right under it and see how it does, if its a sword its going to go nuts

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Is this an aquatic plant?

Yup, that's a Melon Sword, aquatic...BK has you covered on the rest.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: Is this an aquatic plant?

Melon sword. Thank you. :) Good to know it is aquatic. And thanks for the info about the lucky bamboo.

I have everything planted in flourite. Do I still need the root tabs?

One other question... what's the rule-of-thumb for water changes in a planted tank? I do have a betta, a tiny octicinclus, 5 shrimp and 2 snails in there. Do you just uproot everything when it's time to vacuum the gravel? :S

Yes you need root tabs still, the flourite has some nutrients but its biggest advantage is its ability to suck up and hold nutrients for the plants to use but swords are exclusive root feeders so you need give them extra nutrients at the roots where other plants will pull nutrients from the water column and there roots

Plants love water changes so i would still do a 50% a week. You wont really gravel vac you just hover over the substrate sucking all the crap off the top which is also why you need to continue to do weekly water changes.....kinda makes up for the half assed vaccing

• UNC-CH
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

UNC-CH replied the topic: Is this an aquatic plant?

Will get the root tabs in a few minutes and put one in tonight. I didn't know that about the flourite. I had assumed it came with minerals/nutrients which would dissipate over time with water changes. I had been avoiding doing a water change just yet. It's good to know that's not the case at all. :)

A good substrate is the base to having a nice looking planted tank. As long as you remain low to medium light without CO2 injection the root tabs and fluorite should be fine for your nutrient needs. But if you step up to high light and CO2 injection you're also going to need to dose the tank with fertilizers on a regular basis
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Is this an aquatic plant?

Big-Ken wrote: The one circled looks to be a amazon sword, are you using root tabs?? Try placing one right under it and see how it does, if its a sword its going to go nuts

Thanks for the tip man!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds