New to live plants.

• Sockfuzz
  • Sockfuzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Sockfuzz created the topic: New to live plants.

Hello everyone,
I am currently in the market for upgrading tank sizes. I was thinking since I'm going to have to rebuild the tank anyways why not try live plants. I've never done live plants or any aquascaping so I was wondering if you guys could shed some light on the subject please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: New to live plants.

What size of tank are you thinking about? What kind of fish would you keep with the plants? I have one planted tank that is doing relatively well. I use the plant tablets like Flourish Tabs, which seem to help for some of my plants. There are more complex ways of keeping plants, injecting the water with C02, etc. But I personally have gotten that involved. Give us more info and we can better guide you depending what you want to do.

• Sockfuzz
  • Sockfuzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Sockfuzz replied the topic: Re:New to live plants.

It'll be a 75 gallon, one oscar one firemouth and a catfish. I've researched the planning and building of the aquariums I'm just not sure as to how to care for them and the maintenence as well as what plants are going to get along with the fish.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:New to live plants.

That 75 gal will only be big enough for the oscar alone, and will be overstocked with the firemouth and catfish. 100 gal might be sufficient if your oscar is passive and doesn't wail on the firemouth, and if the catfish you want is small. If you're after something like a pleco you'll need to get a 6ft 125 gal to make that stocking work long term.

Plants and oscars also generally don't mix well at all either, but I think Poseidon's had some success with it. Usually the plants become oscar salad.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:New to live plants.

I did have some success with Amazon swords. I surrounded him with them since I first got him. The problem wasn't him so much as the pleco I had him with. They love plants even more than oscars do. Now I just keep java ferns with the two of them, which neither of them like and the Amazons are slowly recovering in the severum/tetra tank.

I will echo Lamm's concern about stocking levels. Your proposed stalking is what I have in my 125 (more or less): one oscar, one pleco, and one severum. Very happy tank, but there would be lots more aggression issues if it was a 75.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds