Pothos, Peace Lilly, and Mother in Law Tongue update

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH created the topic: Pothos, Peace Lilly, and Mother in Law Tongue update

Here are some pics I took this morning of the pothos, peace lilly and mother in law tongue growing on the 10 gallon goldfish tank.

The mother in law tongue continues to show the highest growth rate. Both plants have grown an inch taller and have a new set of leaves (very thick leaves). The roots of the mother in law are covered with either tiny hairs or mold. It hasn't seemed to cause a problem so far though.

The peace lilly is performing second best. It's grown tallest and is sprouting underwater roots.

The pothos, both jade and marbled queen, is growing steadily although the underwater roots aren't growing as fast as I'd planned. I suspect the goldfish is nibbling on them, because the pothos sitting in a container of still water has longer underwater roots than the aquarium pothos. The clippings are still outperforming the plants that were uprooted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

noodle replied the topic: Pothos, Peace Lilly, and Mother in Law Tongue update

Looks fantastic UNCCH. Have you measured the water parameters?

• Thank you received: 32

Bri B replied the topic: Re:Pothos, Peace Lilly, and Mother in Law Tongue update

Very impressive Mike. You never dissapoint.

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Pothos, Peace Lilly, and Mother in Law Tongue update

First, I should say that this is an experiement. Plants should not be used in an aquarium to keep one from having to perform water changes. Water changes of at least 50% twice per week need to be carried out, and nitrate levels should be not be allowed to exceed 20ppm.

Yes, I tested a couple days ago and again just now. The nitrate is between 40 and 80ppm. So considering it's been over a month since changing the water, I'm still very impressed with the plants ability to reduce nitrate in the tank. I had thought that the growth rate would increase as nitrate levels rose, but that hasn't seemed to happen. A water change may increase growth as fresh minerals will be replenished. Tomorrow, I'll do a large water change.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds