Sharing pics of my overhead filter with pothos...

• bongaloman001
  • bongaloman001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bongaloman001 created the topic: Sharing pics of my overhead filter with pothos...

Hey all, i recently moved my tank outside and just wanted to share a couple pictures of it with my plants!

The diy overhead filter is 8 months old, put the pothos cuttings in at that time as well.

The cuttings already had water roots when I put it in the filter but they were not growing for a couple months and I got real discouraged.

It wasn't until I installed a TaoTronics grow light bulb that the growth started to take off.

I had the light on daily from 5am to 10 pm everyday.

I moved my tank outside 2 weeks ago and now the plants get "real" sunlight everyday for a 3-4 hours.

In my case, the pothos don't do squat for nitrates...I still had super high nitrates and had to do weekly 90% water changes to keep things in check.

The only benefit was that I had a slight green algae problem and after introducing the pothos, the algae went away. Guess the pothos outcompeted the algae for nutrients.

The plants do look pretty tho!

Btw, don't mind the aluminum foil on the filter box.....when the sun hits the filter, the water inside heats up real quick. Had to put the foil on to reflect the sunlight.
Also, I have a bad diatom problem now.....think it has to do with the sunlight. HOpefully it goes away soon.

Enjoy the pics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Sharing pics of my overhead filter with pothos...

Whereabouts are you in the world? How big is that aquarium?

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bongaloman001

• bongaloman001
  • bongaloman001's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

bongaloman001 replied the topic: Sharing pics of my overhead filter with pothos...

I'm in Hawaii....so I don't have to worry about cold winters or extra hot summers... I don't have a heater or cooler in my tank. I just cover the tank with a big piece of plywood to block out the sun during the afternoon.

The aquarium is 55 gallons.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Sharing pics of my overhead filter with pothos...

perhaps, your potting medium for the roots of the pothos are not good enough for holding more roots. i do have pothos in my tank and my nitrate never go beyond 20 ppm... 220 gal tank with 12 full grown oscars. and i had to cut my pothos because they crawl anywhere and become bushy...

presently, i am doing some experiment with other types of plants and they are doing well too.

• Thank you received: 8

Vinny replied the topic: Re:Sharing pics of my overhead filter with pothos...

Hey guys got a question. Is it possible to do a "planted lid" indoors. I think it's a great idea and really unseen in my opinion. Would be something I would consider in the future

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re:Sharing pics of my overhead filter with pothos...

yes... you can put some pothos or arrowhead plants inside the tank
and allow them to hang - over the edges...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds