Photography

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: Photography

nice pics :) I like planes and yet they scare me just the sound alone makes me look shiftily towards the sky :unsure:

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Photography

I trust the 10,000 parts flying in close formation that is a helicopter more than I trust fixed wing, conventional, airplanes.

I could hang out the window at 5000 feet up and not be bothered, but I white knuckle the seats in commercial airplanes when I have to travel. Odd isn't it?

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• Thank you received: 6

aus-car replied the topic: Re: Photography

Maybe it's not the vehicle you don't trust, but the commercial pilot as opposed to a pilot with combat training?

My uncle was a captain for QANTAS but started in the Air Force, like many commercial pilots I suppose.

Today I went to my local racetrack and spent the day watching the final round of the Australian Drifting Grand Prix.
The weather was a bit strange today, 33deg C but it started raining so I managed to get few photos in before we got rained on.
Hope you enjoy.

Overall it was a good day.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Photography

Those pics are so good, so crisp and sharp.

I'm jealous of people who can take these kinds of pictures

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee
The following user(s) said Thank You: aus-car

Thanks but after viewing the photos I realised I made a crucial mistake with the settings. These guys were going sideways at great speed, it just doesn't show in the pics because I used too high a shutter speed effectively 'freezing' the action making them look like they were standing still. What I should have done was lower the shutter speed a touch and follow the car with the camera making sure its in focus then take the shot. The car would have been sharp and the background would be blurry giving the sensation of speed. We learn from our mistakes I guess.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Photography

While I hear you, and I agree that a blurry background would have given the effect of speed, I honestly really, really like seeing these cars 'frozen' in time :) The clouds of tire smoke still lets one know that there is motion, but somehow, you pushed a button, stopped time, and you're giving us a window into a world we could never see with our own eyes.

I really like these pictures of yours, I love all the detail. I love how you can see the car leaning backwards slightly, showing how much the car is straining to accelerate (the second pic does this nicely).

Thanks again for very nice pictures :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: aus-car

I'll see if I can string together a couple videos I got on my phone, to show the true audio/visual spectacle of drift, I love the sound of an open wastegate and boosted engines going hard, the face full of smoke adds to excitement B) ..there were a few skylines and silvias running Chev V8s bit strange at first to hear that sound but awesome none the less.

• Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: Photography

You could do some panning , it should create a wonderful effect.
However panning needs some experience and training, you select your shutter speed depending on subject speed and distance, you move the camera with the subject. and you're done, don't worry if you don't succeed,I consider a hit rate of 30% as great, you will get better and better when training.
A monopod should be of a great help and better if you camera/lens has IS mode 2 (only verticak stabilisation)
have fun, will try to get some panning shots I have, but this means I will have to search in my backup hard drives :(

I hear what you are saying. I may just invest in a monopod it seems it would help.
the lens I used this time was my Nikkor 16-85mm it has 'VR' (Nikon's name for IS used by Canon) It has settings for normal and active, I just kept it on normal.

I suppose the best way to get better at anything is to just get out there and do it, if you make a mistake along the way, you identify where you went wrong then improve it the next time.

Some more shots

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds