Fishingseason 2010:What are you gonna catch?

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Fishingseason 2010:What are you gonna catch?

marcus wrote:

a cold by the look of things, its bloody freezing out there.)))

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
yeah, that's right!
I won't be going until the weather gets better.
If the weather is like this, it's hell out there if your canoeing to feed at night.
I remember one time a big carp got stuck after we caught it.
So i jumped in my canoe to loosen the fish .
That didn't work so i got my rod while in the canoe. When i was 20 feet out of the shore, my mate asked; "Don't you need your paddle?"
I thought i could manage without it, but the fr#@kin' fish pulled me al the way across the lake for a long time.
Bad idea, but funny nevertheless. :laugh:

@ askhammatt: you caused this thread to happen!
Any grayling pics???
Lovely fish that is, and i can imagine the fight they put up if i look at their backfin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Fishingseason 2010:What are you gonna catch?

Yep, carp fishermen as well here, as soon as that warm weather comes along I hope to be out there. Mind you Noddy, I'm not really one for sitting behind buzzers for hours on end waiting for a bite. I much prefer my 13 foot waggler rod with 5 pound line, a single trout pellet band mounted on a size 10 hook. I don't normally catch anything bigger than 10 pounds but boy do they get it on light tackle.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Noddy replied the topic: Re:Fishingseason 2010:What are you gonna catch?

lol, that figures.
I started with beepers and stuff after i had reached what seemed to be the maximum limit possible on a steady rod.
And the lakes we fish at are DEEP, until over 30 feet.
We'll mostly be fishing at 12-18 feet deep but that will be at 200-250 feet out of the shore at least.
And i don't sleep if i go nightfishing, or at least try to.
Unless it's for several days, then i'll take a tent.
My best excuse is allways that i won't just stay outdoors all night to watch the sunset, but if i have my rods ready for action i will stay outdoor for a long time.
We went on a 5 day carp trip, just before i got married.
We set up all gear and tents and stuff and went to bed.
In the morning it turned out the river we were fishing at had quite a tide.
The rods were surrounded by water and were unreachablewithout getting wet , our buoys and feeding buckets had floated off.
My canoe was just drifting away when we woke up.
I had to use one of the rods to tackle my canoe and i caught it.
We didn't catch any carp though, just 35 common breams from upto 2 feet but no sport at all.
You never know if it's gonna work out with catching carp in rivers...

• Thank you received: 0

marcus replied the topic: Re:Fishingseason 2010:What are you gonna catch?

OFL wrote:

Yep, carp fishermen as well here, as soon as that warm weather comes along I hope to be out there. Mind you Noddy, I'm not really one for sitting behind buzzers for hours on end waiting for a bite. I much prefer my 13 foot waggler rod with 5 pound line, a single trout pellet band mounted on a size 10 hook. I don't normally catch anything bigger than 10 pounds but boy do they get it on light tackle.

I used to do the same thing :) i used a peter drennan waggler 6lb line size 10 round bend hook and sweetcorn. 4 to 12lb mirrors/leather and i was happy with that. one rod, no net, they went straight back kept me please for yrs. i don't fish now. I don't have any gear, its a shame cos sometimes i would like to go. :huh:

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

marcus wrote:

OFL wrote:

I used to do the same thing :) i used a peter drennan waggler 6lb line size 10 round bend hook and sweetcorn. 4 to 12lb mirrors/leather and i was happy with that. one rod, no net, they went straight back kept me please for yrs. i don't fish now. I don't have any gear, its a shame cos sometimes i would like to go. :huh:

I have got one of Drennan's feeder rods and it's fantastic sport with small to medium-size carp. If I go fishing I'm not particularly happy if I have not landed at least a few carp, I like to top 10 normally but it doesn't always happen. Sometimes you get them on the feed and it's a bite a chunk. Normally this only happens with the small carp, the bigger ones are little bit more wary and not so easy to catch.

That quite a number.
The most we ever had was 16 runs in one night and caught 10 carp.
But 1 to 3 fish is more common in one night.
and they weigh 20 to 30 pounds on average.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Noddy wrote:

That quite a number.
The most we ever had was 16 runs in one night and caught 10 carp.
But 1 to 3 fish is more common in one night.
and they weigh 20 to 30 pounds on average.

I think that the bigger fish have seen it all which is why they are not easy to catch. Can you imagine if the big 30 pounders were as easy to catch out the small ones? Your arms would be hanging out of their sockets by the end of the day :laugh:

I remember reading this article in one of the fishing magazines where this guy had the most fantastic session, I think he caught 50 carp in a day, and all of them where were big ones. He said he could hardly lift his pint when he went down the pub in the evening :laugh:

The average fight with one of these fish will take 10 to 20 minutes.
In the lake they usually start fighting all over again if the reach the shallow water.
Those fights combined with the canoeing will usually make me feel like rambo afterwards! :laugh: Mind you i still look the same, it just feels that way.
But the water i usually go to has hundreds of carp in them, so i hardly go home without catching one.

here's me returning one into the water from my canoe.

Now tell me am i the only one taking pics from every fish i catch?
You guys must have some pics to show??

• Win
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Win replied the topic: Re:Fishingseason 2010:What are you gonna catch?

lol you carp guys are crazy, i got a picture of me about 14 years old, holding up the 37lb carp i caught with a dip net, thing was doing a headstand in shallow water and its tail was poking out, thing was digging a nest and got scooped up by yours truely, i have a pic of it somewhere (not online... like a polaroid)

lol im a bass, crappie, and catfisherman if im on my local waters, i really much prefer going to the coast and having a go at some redfish or speckled trout :)

lol was planning on going today as a matter o fact, try and catch 40 or 50 pounds of mr whiskers! :D :D :D

• Thank you received: 0

marcus replied the topic: Re:Fishingseason 2010:What are you gonna catch?

best i ever done was 16 in 1 day all between 2-9lb (6am to 2pm so not a full day). most other days i got 6 to 11 ish on a good day.a few tench too had a 6.5lber. i have hooked a few very big carp but on 6lb line you just watch your gear tear down everyone's swim ))))) then get shouted at cos you tangled every fucker on the lake. )))) i think i hooked jaws a few times cos my float took off like in the film, you know the buoys )))). biggest I've landed was just over double figures, on float tackle thats fine by me. I had some nice gear(( shame I sold it all. my pride was a Mitchel match 440A reel. probably considered a relic now )))) and a carbon ABU rod. may be i will get some gear for the summer )))) a man can never have to many toys.)))

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds