keeping the babies alive?

• lovemyfish
  • lovemyfish's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

lovemyfish created the topic: keeping the babies alive?

ok, so I have been very smart over the last year or so (or at least my O's have), and am getting a batch of eggs every 4 weeks or so, but I cant for the life of me keep them alive - would love some hints.

out of about 5 batches of eggs, I have one lone baby - Junior is about 3" long now (about 3 months old).

firstly, I will tell you what I am doing, and if you can correct anything then feel free (thats what the forum is for hey!)

I leave the eggs on the slate for a day or so after they have been laid, then I remove the slate and put it in a small tank (with water from the main tank) with an air stone and some methyl blue. As soon as the majority of the wrigglers have wriggled off the slate, I remove the slate, and remaining eggs etc.
I do a small water change to start ridding the tank of the blue, and leave things alone for a couple of days until egg sacs are gone and the fry are swimming.
At this stage, I usually have several hundred babies.
As soon as they are free swimming I am feeding small amount of frozen (defrosted) BBS twice a day, and do water changes daily - again, using water from main tank. I also have a sponge filter in the tank now.
Now, this is when I am getting into trouble. Daily now, I am removing dead babies but the dozzens, until there are no babies left.

The 1st batch I had this year, the one that I have one lone survivor, I had hundreds of babies about 2 weeks old, then came home one day to only about 10 in the tank. No idea where they went, I had a sponge filter, so they could not of gone in there, and they were the only fish in the tank... was really really weird!!

Anyway - if anyone can give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I would really love to get a batch of fry to a decent size (I have 4 lfs's who are haning out waiting for them).

Cheers
L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife
  • Thank you received: 69

sharyn replied the topic: Re: keeping the babies alive?

Hello! Have been wondering how you were going.

The only things I do different are:
Once I start feeding I start with Wardley liquid fry food for about a week then BBS.
I do daily 90% water changes with fresh water from a bucket, brought up to temp with warm tap water and conditioned with a little bit of prime. The water quality with this kind of food is awful.

Apart from that I do everything the same.

Good luck!

Shazzzzzzzzzzzz

• Thank you received: 18

mroylands replied the topic: Re: keeping the babies alive?

thats a bit sad, im sure some one will have a answer soon i havent delt with oscar fry but my pearl lay in the same way and what i do is leave the eggs with the perants till they hatch and when they have hatched i wate a day or so when they are just starting to swim then suck them up in to a tube and put them in to a small fry net that is in a larger fry net so theres is a good amount of space between the to nets so they dont get eaten through it then when there egg sack has gone i feed them small fry food in the bottle stuff and chushed flakes i did the BB shrimp once but it killed a few becouse it was defrosted and refrosen in the shop and i dident know, my tank is a coumanity tank and ive had two lots that have been fine and lots have lived when i have keepet them like this may be try a fry net in your little tank this might help them not get sucked up the filter i hope this has helped a little :)

if life is dishing u lemons,find someone who is getting vodka and another with lemonaid
and have a dame good party!!

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Re: keeping the babies alive?

keeping the lone survivor is an accomplishment too...
i do have several spawning but not so keen of raising any of them...
bu now... i am hook to this flowerhorn thing and have a couple of
hundred fries.... i am doing it differently with my oscars

• lovemyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

lovemyfish replied the topic: Re: keeping the babies alive?

sharyn wrote: Hello! Have been wondering how you were going.

The only things I do different are:
Once I start feeding I start with Wardley liquid fry food for about a week then BBS.
I do daily 90% water changes with fresh water from a bucket, brought up to temp with warm tap water and conditioned with a little bit of prime. The water quality with this kind of food is awful.

Apart from that I do everything the same.

Good luck!

Shazzzzzzzzzzzz

thanks Shaz,
I have tried with tap water as well as aged water from the main tank, but I think they like the aged water better - I have fairly chlorinee (Sp) water from the tap.

I have 3 survivors from the last batch - so I will see how they go. Rex and Tex are about to lay again I think. I will leave eggs in the tank again this time and see how they go. Last time the babies hatched in with parents all went really well for about 2 weeks, righ up until my kids had friend stay over and needed the lounge room for beds.. Unfortunatly that meant I needed to turn the lights off the tank.. next morning - all gone!! This time, the lights will stay on!

• lovemyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

DRACO wrote: keeping the lone survivor is an accomplishment too...

and he/she is quite the Oscar fish..was in the community tank with tetras etc, but had to be moved into his own tank and his fishy friends were slowly disappering.
I went to turn on the lights of the tank the ohter morning and there he/she was, with half a neon hanging out of his/her mouth. As soon as the light went on, the tetra fell out and he/she looked at me as if to say "what?? it wasnt me... honestly"
very nice fish indeed!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: keeping the babies alive?

water changes are to remove nitrates. Adding water from your tank adds water with nitrates in it, to try and keep nitrates down?

Why do you add tank water? I suspect high nitrates are the culprit here. Do you have a test kit? Post some parameters of the grow-out tank, including tank size, exact water change regime, and water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). What temperature? What filtration (sponge filter, yes?)?

I would almost immediately suggest switching to small (25%), twice daily water changes, with a good dechlorinator (tetra aquasafe is my absolute favourite, I wouldn't use any other). Fry are a looot of fish, usually in relatively cramped quarters.

With some water parameters, and some more info, you should be on the right track asap :)

• lovemyfish
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Nina_W wrote: water changes are to remove nitrates. Adding water from your tank adds water with nitrates in it, to try and keep nitrates down?

Why do you add tank water? I suspect high nitrates are the culprit here. Do you have a test kit? Post some parameters of the grow-out tank, including tank size, exact water change regime, and water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). What temperature? What filtration (sponge filter, yes?)?

I would almost immediately suggest switching to small (25%), twice daily water changes, with a good dechlorinator (tetra aquasafe is my absolute favourite, I wouldn't use any other). Fry are a looot of fish, usually in relatively cramped quarters.

With some water parameters, and some more info, you should be on the right track asap :)

Thanks Nina - I never thought of the nitrate issue, but makes perfect sense when you think of it.. what's the saying "you cant see the wood for the trees".. duh!!

I will do water parameter checks tonight and see what happens. I will also have to invest in some dechlorinator, as I dont have any.

Watch this space - I will keep you posted

cheers

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: keeping the babies alive?

Any news? :)

(I'm hoping for pictures of many, many lively little babies)

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: keeping the babies alive?

any update? :huh:

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds