new pair of oscar's are they breeder's or not ?

• cujo0777
  • cujo0777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

cujo0777 created the topic: new pair of oscar's are they breeder's or not ?

My new pair of oscar's are getting along great and alway's hanging out with each other would those be a breeding pair ? They seem to be swimming side by side all the time But there to small to be a pair rite ? There only 2 1/2 to 3 inche's long rite now . If it is a pair what would there baby's look like ? One is a Albino tiger and the other one is a tiger oscar. Would they get aggresive once they get bigger or would they just be a couple of happy fish later on ? I wouldnt mind a breeding pair but the baby's they produce :ohmy: I wouldnt know what to do withem or were to sell them .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Brooksie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Have you loved your fish today?
  • Thank you received: 42

Brooksie replied the topic: Re: new pair of oscar's are they breeder's or not ?

It is too early to tell if they are a breeding pair. At this age they are just friends swimming together. They usually don't start to pair off until around 18 or 24 months... you've got a little bit of time. Good luck though!

There is a fine line between sanity and insanity.... Come walk it with me!

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

cujo0777 replied the topic: Re: new pair of oscar's are they breeder's or not ?

Ill need all the luck I can get at this point I just hope they get along once they get bigger . Will they get territorial once they get bigger like one side of the tank is mine and the other side is your's ? Is there a slim chance of them being good buddy's for life or no ??? I sure hope so .

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: new pair of oscar's are they breeder's or not ?

there is a slim chance - but keep a divider handy. If you end up with two males the chance is almost zero that they'll live together, even in an absolutely huge tank.

A catfish, like a featherfin, should handily deal with any fry they do produce, if this becomes an eventuality.

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Were would I get a divider for my tank ??? I didnt even know they had divider's for big tank's. Once my oscar's get bigger they will show sighns of aggression . If they fight all the time there probably to boy's and if they get along that could be a pair or possibly 2 girls. I have to say this is a bit weird to bad i cant take my fish to a vet to determine what sex they are . Of all they fish Oscars are the most hard to sex WOW.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: new pair of oscar's are they breeder's or not ?

you can pretty easily build a divider out of 'egg crate' (funny plastic grid stuff you buy at a lighting shop) or out of plexiglass with a bunch of holes drilled into it.

Mesh also works. Just have a plan, sometimes agression starts really suddenly. You're still a good long while away from it, though, so no rush right now :)

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Ill goto the store today so I can pick up some plexiglass for the future Thank's for that info thats going to help out allot :) When do oscars start showing aggresion when there 6 inches or better or before the 6 inch mark ????

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds