Finally have a breeding pair.

• Oscurida
  • Oscurida's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Oscurida replied the topic: Re: Finally have a breeding pair.

Newest update: I took out 7 dead fries in the past 2 days whats going on? I changed the water yesterday and put in a very little of dust from the pellets. They don't seam to like the baby brine shrimp eggs cause I saw some of them go for it and then spit them back out. The dust of pellets they seam to like a lot tho.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: Finally have a breeding pair.

Congrats on the fry! :woohoo:

To answer some questions. Everyother day waterchanges will be fine for now....it's just a matter of keeping an eye on the Nitrates to make sure they don't go above 20ppm.

As far as feeding them, I've always fed any fry I've raised either ground up pellets or flakes and they have always done very well.

You will lose some fry so this is nothing to worry about as long as your water parameters are good.

Good luck! ;)

• Oscurida
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Thanks for your reply and advice much appreciated. I'm at work so around 5pm I'm going to buy a big pump for the spong filter and buy some live brine shrimp to see how that goes. Then after a while ill change the water again.

Should I leave on the light or partically ?

• Oscurida
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Why are the fries staying on the top of the water? I thought they stay on the botttom. There is plenty of air in the tank. Is the pump for the spong up to much? Please check video.

i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/oscurida/03d60d5b.mp4

• Thank you received: 18

mishka replied the topic: Re: Finally have a breeding pair.

I unfortunately never raised fry, I wish I could help give you a true answer but I honestly don't know.. my only guess would be if the water is too cold since the surface of the water is warmer than the bottom, but I'm sure you have the right temp anyways, hopefully someone can answer your question and best of luck with the fry :)

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Finally have a breeding pair.

Hey buddy I would not use live brine for a little bit longer I would stay with the crushed flakes and your frozen baby brine shrimp!!

Also you asked about the light and the lights are for us really they do not need them on just the light in the room would be enough or even a very light light but I have bright lights also because I like seeing my fish...

also they probably were scared at the bottom when they were younger... and are not looking for food at the top

I didn't check video because I am on my phone but from your description that is what I am guessing

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Oscurida
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I thought it would be that they are fighting to swim being that I brought I stronger air pump for the filter so it was blowing out more creating more of a current. So I just put an adjuster to the air pump and have it a very little on. I added a air stone cause I thought they were going to the top for air. I checked the nitrates and yesterday it was at 20, did a water change and dropped it down to under 5. I added in 2 crushed pellets. I increased the temp.

• Oscurida
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Well they are all just about dead. Maybe under 7 more that is still wiggling. I tried and really have no idea what I possible went wrong. Temp, nitrates, changing water and etc was good. Oh well, maybe next time I'll just leave them in with their parents. Let them go through the stress I did lol.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Finally have a breeding pair.

maybe to much current ?

sucks man but o well 7 baby os is still a lot of fish you learn and get better I know I killed my first 2 sets of convict babies lol

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Oscurida
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Hey what's up all. Well still no eggs yet. I'm dieing to have another batch of eggs. It's been 2.5 weeks so I guess maybe I'm just impatient. I've noticed that my female is being aggressive to the male partner to the point where he is hiding with the other male.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds