behaviour questions (video included)

• morfeas
  • morfeas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

morfeas created the topic: behaviour questions (video included)

my oscars are one year old. yesterday i recorded this behaviour in the video: (sory for quality and reflections)

is this breeding behaviour? can they do it at this age?

also, today was a totaly different story. the aplbino was ramming into the black one which was falling sideways. it looked scared and was doing avoidance but that was not always possible. there was a lot of jaws locking and chacing in the tank.
many times one stays on one side of the tank and the other at the opposite.

now they have cooled down a bit but there is a bit of ramming every now and then.

i'm totaly confused by all this. when i seen the stuff in the video i was sure they were mating. but that fighting today was a completely different story and i cant come into any conclusion.

any ideas???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: behaviour questions (video included)

maybe,

but i think its more about oscars maturing and getting aggressive towards eachother. keep an eye on them, it could start getting fatal if one gets the upper hand.

they seem a little small for 1 year old. 1 year old oscar should be atleast 10"

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: behaviour questions (video included)

get a divider, and watch this closely. Like Cebo said, if one gets the upper hand, you'll have big problems.

It might be the start of breeding, but from the video, and what you've said, I think it's territorial fighting. Eventually they might reach an uneasy peace ... I hope so. Otherwise one of the two will need a new home.

• morfeas
  • morfeas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

morfeas replied the topic: Re: behaviour questions (video included)

thank you for your reply. i'll monitor the situation.

i know they are small. cant figure out why this may be. they were on 60 littres tank for first 4-5 months so maybe their growth was delayed?

now they are on decent tank for about 6-7 months, but they dont grow fast. tank now is about 420 litters and water is good. every week i vacum and change about half the water.

i feed them jbl xl stick as main food.

you think it can be genetic? they were given as gift to me but purchaced from a shop of bad reputatuion when it comes to fish.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: behaviour questions (video included)

Their size could be due to a great many things. High nitrates for an extended period of time. The small tank they were in for the first 4-5 months would definitely be an environment where this is highly likely (and the smallness would have an impact too). I'd blame the small tank over any other cause.

It could also be genetic, but this is quite rare (especially for two oscars - one maybe, but two?). It could be that at some point the food wasn't ideal, but this is unlikely.

Caring for them properly now should help them live a healthy, long life still. They won't ever grow fast, but let's hope they're not hurt (internally) by being a bit stunted.

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: behaviour questions (video included)

oscars size were stunted by less than ideal water conditions. this was caused mainly by early tank size and lack of (filtration/waterchanges)

glad you have a bigger tank now. make sure you do 50% waterchanges weekly, or atleast 65% bi-weekly

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

Oscurida replied the topic: Re: behaviour questions (video included)

If they are a couple and that was some sort of rehursal and "if" you get eggs out of this. I bet the black one is the female and the albino is the male. Hopefully you get eggs and if so please see which one lays them and let me know.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds