How does one get a breeding pair ???

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: How does one get a breeding pair ???

Yeah but that's Africans this a totally different size fish in a totally different water... Oscars form pairs Africans don't ... not saying they will only ever breed with one fish its whole life but I'm just thinking unless huge tank is present that wouldn't be an option... like really long ... but I was wrong once b4 time to do some Googling and find a credited site ... but I def seeyour point!!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: How does one get a breeding pair ???

Convicts do it too and few other CA cichlids will do it.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: How does one get a breeding pair ???

Mostly smaller extremely breedable fish ..

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: How does one get a breeding pair ???

cujo0777 wrote: Would music realy put fish in the mood for some nooky.??? I know i just found a breeding pair of red O's going for $80 but who's to say when i get them there going to breed . Still waiting for an email frm the guy to see if they actually bred succesfully.

Be cautious of anyone selling a "breeding pair" of any type of fish. You are correct to assume that just because they bred for one individual, this does not mean they would breed for you; also, they may be an old pair that is "bred out", that is to say that they have bred so many times they are no longer viable. No one who has a breeding pair of Oscars would really want to part w/ them; they are simply a gold mine in the hobby; mine used to pay for things like filters, food,etc. I have seen a LOT of scams like this in my time(having been in the aquarium trade).

CAVEAT EMPTOR.....Latin for "let the buyer beware"!!

The tried & true method of securing a pair of Oscars is to get @ least 6 babies & grow them out together, & let nature take it's course.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• cujo0777
  • cujo0777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

cujo0777 replied the topic: Re: How does one get a breeding pair ???

Be cautious of anyone selling a "breeding pair" of any type of fish. You are correct to assume that just because they bred for one individual, this does not mean they would breed for you; also, they may be an old pair that is "bred out", that is to say that they have bred so many times they are no longer viable. No one who has a breeding pair of Oscars would really want to part w/ them; they are simply a gold mine in the hobby; mine used to pay for things like filters, food,etc. I have seen a LOT of scams like this in my time(having been in the aquarium trade).

CAVEAT EMPTOR.....Latin for "let the buyer beware"!!

The tried & true method of securing a pair of Oscars is to get @ least 6 babies & grow them out together, & let nature take it's course.[/quote]

I guess youre rite mabe i should start frm scratch may take a while but it would be worth it in the end. I know the guy couldnt figure out what was male so he wanted me to buy all three for 140 . I realy dont feal like dolling that much money out for three full grwn fish thats 17 in long and the money for shipping that would cost a little over 200 dollers for overnight delivery.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: How does one get a breeding pair ???

$140 for 3 oscars? That's expensive for regular oscars. I wouldn't pay more than $10

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Rocksor wrote: $140 for 3 oscars? That's expensive for regular oscars. I wouldn't pay more than $10

What does a full grwn oscar thats 17 inches go for anyway ???

• Thank you received: 29

GeorgeP replied the topic: Re: How does one get a breeding pair ???

17"? I'd like to see that.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: How does one get a breeding pair ???

What ever someone will pay for it really. With Oscars being so common in the aquaria trade it's not a fish someone should be or could really make money off of. Someone hell bent on acquiring a large oscar or proven breeding pair may willing to spend to get it.

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

So people will sell full grwn oscars for what ever they think there worth ??? Thats messed up they should be cheaper then that. Thats like me selling a full grwn dog thats 8 yrs old for more than what i paid for him as a puppy.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds