not sure yet

• Cichliddle_freak
  • Cichliddle_freak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23

Cichliddle_freak created the topic: not sure yet

ok, im sorry if i am posting this in the wrong spot since i only have 1 oscar.
but my one oscar i have had for about... 5-6 months now (got him/her at an inch and a half long, and now he/she is about 8-9 inches)
i just moved my oscar from a 55G tank to a 70 gallon tank. in the 55G he never really moved much gravel around, just small piles like if u gravel vac a small area, and let it fall out in 1 spot to make a small hill thats pretty much all it would do.
anyways, now he is in the 70 gallon tank with alot more room, the next morning (yesterday) i saw that he/she has already made 2 big holes in the ground all the way to the glass. now today he/she is concentrating on the 1 hole between the 2 filters and rubs his/her chin against the glass. im guessing this is to check if it is smoothe enough, because they lay eggs on smooth surfaces only.
and the oscar just floats above the glass at the bottom for a few minutes at a time.

is SHE getting ready to at least lay eggs?
oh, and this might help too
he/she hasnt been eating much lately. the only thing he/she really goes after is blood worms again, so im trying to force her back to hikari cichlid gold like normal. i only give her treats of bloodworms, but even if i give her about 1 a week she starves herself from pellets.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: not sure yet

Seems a bit small at 8-9 inch to lay eggs. Typically you have to wait 18 mo for sexual matuirty. She could also be a he who likes to dig pits.

Dont feed your o bloodworms anymore. It may take 2-3weeks for it to take pellets again.

• Thank you received: 0

Tiger barb replied the topic: Re: not sure yet

Hi guys, im from South Africa. I have exactly the same issue with one of my O's. I currently have a 4ft bare bottom tank as im busy setting up my new 6ft tank. My one O has the same behaviour, always cleaning the glass at the base of the tank and has gone off his/her food and only accepts bloodworm now and again. My two O's are about 20months old and 30cm in length. Will be following this thread closely.

• Cichliddle_freak
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Cichliddle_freak replied the topic: Re: not sure yet

yeah rocksor your right, i had this issue with blood worms a while ago with a different oscar that had a growth issue and died =/ ONLY ate bloodworms, and for about 4 weeks didnt eat anything really.
the oscar was only about 4 inches long and at least 6 months old.
so i have def. learned from my mistakes in the past. and i havent given my oscar bloodworms in about a week and a half. (besides the other night when i put him in a different tank as a snack to show him/her i still love em haha)

so it takes about 18 months for sexual maturity? ok, that sounds more realistic. i thought it was a little early too but then again, never know.

i just thought it was strange that he has NEVER done this, and now he has 2 holes straight to the glass now.
oh, and about 20 minutes ago i took out a big rock (on a different thread i posted people told me to take out decorations for more swimming space) and when my hand got close to the hole he made, he got kinda defensive. not flaring gills and stuff, just came close to my arm and looked like he was giving me a "warning sign" haha like "yo man, back off ai'ght? i dont wana hurt you, but i will if i have too yo'." im not "gangsta" haha but i just figured that how he looked haha.

• Cichliddle_freak
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

here is a picture of him being shy when i get the camera out. haha
i think it shows what im saying rather well.
now that i have this photobucket thing down, expect more pictures every time haha

• Thank you received: 0

aaronblove replied the topic: Re: not sure yet

So strange. I have an albino that is the same way as cichliddle. He/she is only around 2.5 in long (same size as when I got it). I have two tiger Oscars that eat everything I put in their tanks but the albino won't seem to eat anything other that earthworms. The albino chases feeder fish but I've never witnessed it succeed. I seem to think sense its albino it has bad eye sight cuz it swims into the glass a lot. It has a tiger Oscar about the same size about 20 Rosie red feeder fish and a pleco. But it doesn't eat when its alone. I'm afraid he/she is gunna die from malnutrition but idk how to stop it. :-(

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: not sure yet

Its just what oscars do and he is getting into the teenage years, mine pushes gravel all over the place and will randomly attack everything in the tank and flares at me it i put my nose to the tank

DONT GIVE ANY MORE BLOODWORMS, when you go a week and a half with then give him some to show that you still love him your undermining yourself and starting the process over again and he will continue to wait for them. Feed only pellets for a month solid and he will start taking them with as much excitement as blood worms, once he eats pellets like that again you can start giving once a week treats of whatever you want but try to change it up from week to week so he doesnt get stuck on one thing. Another thing i do that was recommended by Miss Nicki is skip a meal once a week it keeps them excited about food, i try to do it on the same day usually water change day that way he cant foul the water with poop and food and the water stays clean for a whole day

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: not sure yet

aaronblove wrote: So strange. I have an albino that is the same way as cichliddle. He/she is only around 2.5 in long (same size as when I got it). I have two tiger Oscars that eat everything I put in their tanks but the albino won't seem to eat anything other that earthworms. The albino chases feeder fish but I've never witnessed it succeed. I seem to think sense its albino it has bad eye sight cuz it swims into the glass a lot. It has a tiger Oscar about the same size about 20 Rosie red feeder fish and a pleco. But it doesn't eat when its alone. I'm afraid he/she is gunna die from malnutrition but idk how to stop it. :-(

You really need to start your own thread cause i think you have alot of issue that need to be addressed and i dont want to take away from the OP's thread so please start a new topic so we can get you straighten out

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: not sure yet

Soak pellets in tank water for 15 min. It will soften it up, and make it feel more flesh like. If you have Boyd's vitachem, soak it in there for 15 min. Another strategy is to use Garlic Guard from Seachem and soak pellets in there for 15 min. Or mash up 5-6 cloves of garlic, leave it in a cup with tank water for at least 2 hours, and then soak the pellets in the garlic flavored water for 15 min.

• Cichliddle_freak
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

good ideas everyone.
and sorry to say (based on past experiences)aaronblove, i dont personaly think it will make it much longer if its doing the same thing my osacr did. i dont know how long u have had it, but i had mine a long time and it never grew more than an inch.
its eyes grew large but other than that nothing was new.

big-ken, ill give that a shot =) thanks.

and rocksor, is the garlic advice for me? or aaronblove, because of his fishes nutrition issue. or can i do this too just for added nutrition. although, i never thought garlic was necessary.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds