water change for breeding green terror

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a created the topic: water change for breeding green terror

Seems my female green terror laid some eggs inside a jar in the tank.
I do biweekly 30% water change by vacuming the aquarium gravel.
I have made a dechlorinator:
I put tap water inside a fishless tank with no lid with a hanging filter running, chlorine just goes in the atmsphere, I use water from my "dechlorinator" to which I used to add one third the quantity of RO water to decrease hardness.
I am not getting RO water anymore: since it is very hot, AC is running, I have 5+ gallons of distilled water everyday from the AC that I can use.
Can I safely vacum the gravel with eggs in the jar ??
hot temperature means a lot of evaporation, water level in the aquarium has dropped 3 centimeters (one inch +) I am worried about the hardness.
I was planning to do the water change as usual, (1/3 AC water 2/3 aged tap water from my dechlorinator) till water actual level, then fill the rest with AC water, this way I restored initial water status.
Is it necessary at this stage to do water change or I just replace evaporated water? would the drop in hardness harm the eggs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: water change for breeding green terror

You can go ahead and do a water change like normal. Just prepare for her to be PISSED OFF and aggressive as hell....

I would avoid the area with the eggs, and just work around them.

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: water change for breeding green terror

I did the vacuming and 25% water change (all distilled AC water)
Both green terrors were hiding during the process then everything got back to normal.
if my calculations are correct and all is normal eggs should hatch on friday (5 days)

• Thank you received: 29

GeorgeP replied the topic: Re: water change for breeding green terror

Don't bet on it. Mine have laid egg's a couple time's now, and they are still getting the hang of it. If your female hid during tank cleaning then she might still be learning. Mine hid when I cleaned her tank the first time, but now when she has egg's she won't leave them for anything. So just don't be surprised if they have to lay egg's a couple time's before you get fry.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds