please!! need opinions

• cotoandpaxi
  • cotoandpaxi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

cotoandpaxi created the topic: please!! need opinions

Not long ago...I gave one of my oscars to a friend of mine so that I could just have one oscar in my 55 gallon. Yes..I had 2 oscars in one 55 gallon, it was all fine and dandy for atleast a year, then I just felt like the other oscar needed a new home (of his own)

Come to find out...my buddy called me up and asked if the oscar I gave hime was a female, I said not that I know of.....long story short. Apparently the oscar I gave to my friend laid eggs in my buddys tank a day or two after he put my old oscar into his tank. Finally after a few days, the eggs had no male to fertilize them, so they started growing algae and other gross stuff on them.

So is it possible, the oscar I gave to my friend is female? Because I'm almost positive that the oscar I still have now is a male.

I'm also wondering if I should get the Oscar back from my buddy?? and put her or him back in my 55 gallon with its previous tankmate (my other oscar) is it possible that I had a breeding pair? If it is, and I got the female fish back. Would the 2 oscars even mate in a 55gallon? Or would it be too small? Please I need some feedback ASAP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: please!! need opinions

females do lay eggs on their own. And if it laid eggs, it's a female.

However, there's no guarantee that your oscar is a male (why do you say it is?). And in a 55, water quality would be extremely difficult to maintain, making successful hatching of eggs and raising of fry extremely unlikely.

Also, chances are that if you put the other oscar back in the 55 gallon, it will face aggression from your oscar, as it will be the intruder in its space.

Get a 110+ gallon tank, then think about a pair - after you know what you'll do with the babies.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: please!! need opinions

you need a 110 or more if you are going to think about breeding a 125 or more would be better

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds