Really need some help with my eggs!

• scratches and Rami
  • scratches and Rami's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

scratches and Rami created the topic: Really need some help with my eggs!

Alright, my 75 gallon tank, my Oscars happened to be a male and female for a very lucky pick. My Oscars just lay some eggs, alright so I have questions before I start caring for them.

Will a Tetra EX20 will be ok for filtering? should I place some sponge on it to prevent the fry to get hatched and become free swimmers?

What temperature should I place it as? my temp is at 80

So, judging from the eggs, they are white, is that the color it should be? I also placed some ick tablets from tetra, since it has that blue medical color?

What should I feed them? I could buy brine shrimp? or feed them flakes?

That's it :D.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Really need some help with my eggs!

fertilised eggs are not white, they're beige/brown :(

The tetra ex20 is way too small for a 75 gallon. Did you move the eggs?

The ich tablets might very well have done harm, not good. I don't know. I know people use methylene blue as a disinfectant to prevent mould, but I think they use it in a pure form. Tetra Ick guard tablets use malachite green as an active ingredient.
If you dosed this in your main tank, where your oscars are, get some carbon, and run it in your filter to remove the chemicals. Also, do a few large water changes. This medicine places stress on your fish - I think you want it out as soon as possible.

80 is perfect.

When (if) you get free swimming fry, brine shrimp works, or a dedicated baby food like hikari first bites works too.

Good luck! But as I said in the first sentence, I don't think you have fertilised eggs.

• scratches and Rami
  • scratches and Rami's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

scratches and Rami replied the topic: Re: Really need some help with my eggs!

I moved them, so they're in a 20 gallon with a tetra EX20, but I'll let the eggs to do their thing.
Yeah, I thought the Ick tablet was the blue M stuff, looks like I'll have to buy that then.

If they aren't, hey, they'll make more :D

• Thank you received: 22

toni-a replied the topic: Re: Really need some help with my eggs!

oscars are excellent parents, you should have kept them with the fry, this is for next time, don't put them back now, they will not recognise them as their offspring and eat them

• Thank you received: 297

cebosound replied the topic: Re: Really need some help with my eggs!

hickari cichlid pellets.

goodluck

My YouTube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/cebosound1?blend=1&ob=0

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife
  • Thank you received: 69

sharyn replied the topic: Re: Really need some help with my eggs!

Hi, congrats on the eggs! As Nina says, the eggs are a nice creamy beige which goes darker to brown if the are fertilised and cooking along. You may have a pair, or you may have two females, I used to have eggs when I had two females.. but of course they were never fertilised!

I would give them a chance with a clutch to see if they can hatch and care for them themselves. If, like me, they are bad egg munchers then do the incubation tank routine. I put the rock in a goldfish tank with a sponge filter, an airwand underneath the rock that creates current and movement around the eggs, and I use meth blue to ward off the fungus. Some say to use water from the main tank..I don't, I use fresh conditioned water as it has no bacteria or problems. I make sure it is the same pH and same temperature though.

Good luck, let us know if you need any advice on raising fry.

Sharyn

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds