hikari first bite, how to use ?

• toni-a
  • toni-a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

toni-a created the topic: hikari first bite, how to use ?

My green terrors have fry :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
they are now 2 days old, tomorrow I should start feeding them, already bought hikari first bite, but how to use it ?
water is 45 cm =18 inches deep, fry are still inside a jar.
I know I should turn off the filter but for how long ??
how much should I feed? knowing I recently had a planaria outbrak, how many times a day ? how to vacum gravel with those fry swimming ? is it safe I do gravel vacum today as long as they are in the jar or I might frighten the female that would eat them ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Re: hikari first bite, how to use ?

toni-a wrote: My green terrors have fry :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
they are now 2 days old, tomorrow I should start feeding them, already bought hikari first bite, but how to use it ?
water is 45 cm =18 inches deep, fry are still inside a jar.
I know I should turn off the filter but for how long ??
how much should I feed? knowing I recently had a planaria outbrak, how many times a day ? how to vacum gravel with those fry swimming ? is it safe I do gravel vacum today as long as they are in the jar or I might frighten the female that would eat them ?

Wait until the fry are actively free-swimming around the tank, & then only a tiny pinch. I tried to get it down close to them, & the gently swirl it around.

When I breed fish, I try to feed the babies small quantities several times a day, until their bellies bulge. Baby fish are ALWAYS hungry.

Turn off the filter until they get done eating, & then right back on, no more than 5 minutes. Or you could just cut a piece of sponge to fit over the filter stem. What type of filter do you have? Also, I would suggest that you get a sponge filter & an air pump & put the sponge filter in your current tank for around 8 weeks. That way, if/when they breed again, you will have a cycled bilogical filter & could set up a fry tank if you so choose. You can never have enough biological filtration anyway.

You never know how brood parents will react (I had a pair of silver Angelfish that would eat their fry if you came to close to the tank!!), but as long as you don't get too close to them, you should be able to gravel vacuum your tank. GT's will probably just defend the babies & attack the siphon anyway. But I would recommend you try, as a rearing tank for fry should be kept as clean as possible. I would strongly recommend you do 25% daily WC's to help accomplish this.

Hope this was helpful. ;)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: hikari first bite, how to use ?

If you have something like a turkey baster, you can get more accuracy of placing the food near the fry.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds