Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

• cujo0777
  • cujo0777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

cujo0777 created the topic: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

I have had my 6 red oscars for a few months and finally got a pair and seperated the oscars frm them. There 8 inches now and there locking lips and playing ring around the rosey and nipping at each other is this normal ???
Keep in mind this is my first pair so i dont know if this is breeding behaviour considering i think its way to early for them to reproduce rite ???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

At least 18 months old is the soonest were the two can actually lay eggs and have them fertilized.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

congrats on the pair!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cujo0777

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

cujo0777 replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

Thank you Nina Iam glad i actually got a pair i just cant wait for them to have baby's cause i know allot of my friends are looking forward to getting some baby's if they have them.

So since the 2 are nipping and lip locking and playing ring around the rosey . I guess this is like a martial dispute between fish . I thought it was a bit early for breeding behavior .

When my to red's are 1 1/2 yrs old they should start to breed ??? How big do you think theyll be when there that old a little over a foot or so .

I do have them in a 300 gallon tank with a 2 green severum 2 firemouth 2 male convicts and a JD.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

there are no guarantees. At that age, they are physically able to do it, but oscars can be funny creatures, some pairs wait until they're quite old to start spawning, others get right into it. Read around a bit, some people have their fish for years, and then one day they spawn.

As for how big they'll be, well, genetics, water quality, and feeding all play some role. Somewhere between 10 and 14 inches.

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I think ur rite Nina when it comes to size of my oscars. I think these 2 have great genetics considering they both been averaging about 1 1/2 to 2 inches a month and i do water changes once a week and they have great apitites when it comes to feeding.

• Thank you received: 0

Tbone replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

Hey Cujo... I have 2 O's that are 9 inches that I've had since they were babies and for the last few months they have been looking lips and all that stuff. Well, last night I saw my albino clearing of a rock and moving all the gravel away from that rock! I was freaking out when I saw this cuz then she would go and hover over the rock! Plus it looked like she was "cleaning" the rock with her mouth. I have never seen her do anything like that. Oh, and you have to look really hard but I see this "tube" looking thing poking out of her! But then I went to read the article on here about breeding oscars and it says 18 months :ohmy: and they are only 8-9 months old. Weird right? Showing all the signs of an oscar that's about to lay eggs!

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Wow My Oscar's are 8 inches and been locking lips and playing what looks like tag and ring around the rosey to but haven't seen them clear of a rock yet i have one piece of slate in my tank but they just covered it up looking for food i don't think there ready yet but im not home that much to monitor what they do . Then again mabe I should put more than one piece of slate in my 6 ft tank so they at least have an option to clean off what ever were ever .

• Thank you received: 0

Tbone replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

It's just weird cuz I know they are too young to breed yet. One thing I always noticed with them was when they would lip lock and chase each other around, it's always more playful looking, it doesn't seem like 2 males who wanna kill each other, more like 2 kids in grade school chasing each other around :kiss: hehe!

I have 2 flat rocks in there but if they don't feel it's safe enough they will clear out the gravel till there's nothing left but the bottom of the tank and thats where they will lay eggs!

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Once i get sometime off from work ill watch them to see what happens I had to wait a while between 6 Oscar's just for one to pair off and that pair seem to get along fine . The way they play around at times seems weird to me . If i see them hovering over a piece of slate or protecting a certain area of the tank then ill know when there probably breeding. I still probably have a while before i ever see egg's it will be worth the wait.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds