Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

• Thank you received: 7

scwilli replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

Best thing to do, if you have the capability, is to set up a webcam and have it take pics every 30 seconds/minute while you are gone. Oscars seem to know when you will be away for a while.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cujo0777
  • cujo0777's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

cujo0777 replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

scwilli wrote: Best thing to do, if you have the capability, is to set up a webcam and have it take pics every 30 seconds/minute while you are gone. Oscars seem to know when you will be away for a while.

That I guess makes allot of sense cause they act so surprised when i walk in the room when i come home they seem happy or they just want food . There prbly just hungry cause it would be insane if ur fish could grow attached to there owner's.

• Thank you received: 0

Tbone replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

scwilli wrote: Best thing to do, if you have the capability, is to set up a webcam and have it take pics every 30 seconds/minute while you are gone. Oscars seem to know when you will be away for a while.

That's a great idea! They will most likely not do anything while your watching :blink: I just happen to catch mine doing all that stuff last night cuz I got up in the middle of the night to get water (all the lights were off). I saw her face down cleaning off the rock so I hid behind the counter with no movements and watched for like a hour B)

Im pretty sure it's gonna be a while (for the both of us) given their age but it is sure fun to watch!

cujo0777 wrote: That I guess makes allot of sense cause they act so surprised when i walk in the room when i come home they seem happy or they just want food . There prbly just hungry cause it would be insane if ur fish could grow attached to there owner's.

I believe they do "know" their owners. For instance I have family over at my house right now and they hide from them when they walk up to the tank. They don't ever hide from me!

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

Tbone wrote:
I believe they do "know" their owners. For instance I have family over at my house right now and they hide from them when they walk up to the tank. They don't ever hide from me!

Definitely! I get greeted enthusiastically, Justin as well, but guests get looked at suspiciously. My Malawi fish are out and about with just Justin and me home, but add one other, unfamiliar person, and there isn't a fish to be seen anywhere.

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Wow that's interesting I wouldn't think fish would actually care. I guess that would explain that weird behavior when I invite friends over . There like why do you have such a big tank if u don't have any fish in it . There in there just hiding at the moment . They have to look behind the decor to see them . I would hate to see how my fish act if i ever through a party.

That is what's awesome about these guys! They have their own personalities :silly:

I would get that a lot too when they were really little... people would come over and say "why do you only have 2 little fish in such a big tank"? I had them in a 125 gallon as babies and I would say "come back in 6 months and you'll see why." :lol:

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I know my fish aren't even that big but they sure do know how to hide frm guest's thats for sure. My 2 red's are 8 inches the 2 Severum's are 4 inches and my 2 firemouth are going on 5 inches along with my 2 male convict's . There all in my 300 gallon tank and have plenty of places to hide . Its just so awkward seeing just my small fish around compared to my big fish when guest's come around.

• Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Re: Is it to early for breeding behavior ???

cujo0777 wrote: I know my fish aren't even that big but they sure do know how to hide frm guest's thats for sure. My 2 red's are 8 inches the 2 Severum's are 4 inches and my 2 firemouth are going on 5 inches along with my 2 male convict's . There all in my 300 gallon tank and have plenty of places to hide . Its just so awkward seeing just my small fish around compared to my big fish when guest's come around.

you can train them to like guests, just feed them their favourite food every time guests come in. Before you know it, they'll be all over your guests.
This does have to be fairly regular, though, to work.

• cujo0777
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Wow that sound's challenging cause i dont have people over my house that often . Usually on holidays and weekends if im lucky My work is pretty demanding. But if that what it take's i guess ill do just that but after i get done remodeling my home. Cause it's so awkward when people come over and the only fish that are out are my medium size one's the firemouth and convict there pretty but id like to my Oscar's to come out more.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds