Mating acts

• Thank you received: 7

scwilli replied the topic: Re: Mating acts

omb00757 wrote: no no only the male and female well be in the 70g tank. The others well stay in the 50g tank. Then Ill most likly sale the other 4. then once the babies are big enough I put them into the 50g. Then sale the babies.

Well that work? A 70g tank is all I can afford.

So it will be 6 Oscars to try and find a breeding pair? In a 50-75g tank, you will get a few weeks before the first start dying. Around 3 months, the 5th will die from aggression. Oscars can start breeding as early as 1.25-1.5 years old.

That isn't considering the cost/time required to do daily water changes to keep the water nontoxic.

Not trying to sound like an ass, but it seems that you want to start breeding, but don't have any experience with Oscars.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• omb00757
  • omb00757's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

omb00757 replied the topic: Re: Mating acts

Well your doing a fine start on making friends with me and beening ass.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Mating acts

I told you all of this already tho buddy...

I told you take sizes and ways to get them to breed but you keep posting asking the same stuff (or parts of the same question)

What do you want a different answer? you wont get it... no matter how many times you ask you do not have enough of a set up to breed oscars successfully yet..

simple as that if you really want to you are going to need to invest more money into the hobby

but seriously I wrote you a long post on how to do it why are you asking again?

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

The following user(s) said Thank You: omb00757

• Thank you received: 7

scwilli replied the topic: Re: Mating acts

omb00757 wrote: Well your doing a fine start on making friends with me and beening ass.

As I said, I am not trying to be an ass. I am trying to communicate the seriousness of your desired undertaking, and the potential disaster you are walking into if unprepared. General rule of thumb is 55g per oscar, even if you had a 300g tank for 6 oscars I would be advising against breeding unless you had some experience, which from reading your posts, it seems like you do not have it.

Again, I am not trying to be an ass, I am trying to keep your fish from looking like this:

Here is a youtube of two 2" oscars in a 125g, one of these will die.

And here is the ass part: friends will tell you that you are doing wrong, no matter what you want to hear. I would hope that many people on this forum would slap me if I suggested housing 4-6 in a 50-75g tank, or breeding oscars when I was having to ask what is mating behavior, how do I find a breeding pair, etc. It shows I have not thought this through and researched it before deciding to load the shotgun and point it at my head. If you had done any research, you would know that this "project" is out of your experience level/price range/etc.

• gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Re: Mating acts

i'm gonna have to agree to whats allready been said, if the biggest you can afford is a 70g tank then you shouldn't even consider breeding O's, you could barely keep one O in such a tank, let alone a breeding pair.

this may sound rude but we just want to help, providing you with all the info you need and saying where you are making mistakes so that you can learn from them.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds