maybe mating?

• Mike_S.
  • Mike_S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mike_S. created the topic: maybe mating?

Hello, I have two Oscars, both about a year old. First, I know my tank is too small, but it will have to suffice for now. I just setup a 50 gallon tank for them, each being roughly 6 inches long. They were in a 30 gal until 2 days ago. I thought they might have been trying to breed as they were doing the mouth locking thing and the red and black tiger completely cleared the middle of the tank to the bottom. I never saw any eggs thankfully. Now that they seem to be adjusting to thier new tank my albino, (George) who is just a hair bigger than the tiger, (Gracie) is chasing the Gracie relentlessy. Im not sure if this is a continuation of thier mating attempts or perhaps they're just being territorial in a larger tank? Gracie has actually been lying on her side in a corner for the better part of the day while George swims around seemingly happy. If two Oscars are the same sex will they still exhibt the mating actions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: maybe mating?

6" is too small for mating behavior.

It is a territorial dispute.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: maybe mating?

I am sure George is happily swimming around the tank. Seems he has managed to bully Gracie into that corner. This is also assuming they are male and female. If they are both male this is just the beginning of a very bad situation.
I would get a divider ready. Things can get out of hand fairly quick between Cichlids.

• Mike_S.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Mike_S. replied the topic: maybe mating?

Well, I think I might have figured out Gracie's problem. She had developed some sort of white stuff on her eyes and fin rot. The rot has been an on and off issue with her, while George seems impervious to it. It seems the tank has developed string hair algae now too. It just keeps getting better!

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: maybe mating?

Well fin rot is generally caused by very poor water quality so I think the size of your tank may be more of a problem than you think. What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates? What kind of filtration?

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: maybe mating?

Given this new information I really urge you to test your water with a good quality test kit. Like the API Master Test Kit. Especially if there have been problems off and on for quite an ammount of time. If you can give us the readings for Ammonia , Nitrites and Nitrates we can start helping you a little more.
Part of the problem probably is the tank size as well. With 2 Oscars its very hard to keep the water under control.
Some picture of the problem areas on the fish would also help us a great deal.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: maybe mating?

all of this plus how often do you change water...

this I feel is only going to get worse with 2 growing oscars in such a small tank..

I think there is already an issue in they are a year old and only 6 inches? they should be like 10+ at least

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Mike_S.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Thank you for all the replies! I don't have a test kit for the water, but hopefully I can get to petsmart and have it checked. I will try to get some pics of her eye and fins. Right now I'm only running 1 50 gall filter, but I think I will add a second 50 gall filter on payday. If the pics come upload right you can see her fin pretty well, it was really hard to get a clear pic of her eye. The water still hasn't completely cleared, we put the water from the 30 gal tank and added more to that. I generally change about a 1/4th of the water a week. In one of the pics you can see some stringy white stuff that I noticed just yesterday. Interestingly, Gracie is responding to George's lip locking attempts again. Fish puberty? I know, I'm a horrible Oscar owner! If all goes as planed, they will be moving into a larger tank within the next few months.

• Mike_S.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Fin rot. :(
Attachments:

• Mike_S.
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Hard to see, but here is the white eye.
Attachments:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds