maybe mating?

• Mike_S.
  • Mike_S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mike_S. replied the topic: maybe mating?

Strange white stuff...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: maybe mating?

The best thing would be for you to get your own liquid test kit , like the API Master Test Kit. Its around $ 32 a PetSmart , but Amazon sells it for $ 19 right now. Here is a link to it...

www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B000255NCI/...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1355957350&sr=1-1&keywords=api+master+test+kit

Now if you have no othe choice then to have it tested by PetSmart until you can get one please ask them to give you the exact levels so you can post them here.
You need to dramatically increase your water changes to at least 50% twice a week and really need to look into upgrading your tank. Even if we can fix the problems you are having right now it will only be short term. Do not let the good people from PetSmart talk you into buying into all kinds of stuff. We can tell you what you need once we get the results for the water and a better understanding of whats going on. You can add another filter , but you will still need to do more water changes.
You are not a terrible Oscar owner. You are here asking for help. Thats more then a lot of people do. We will get you all sorted out. And most problems can be fixed with clean water , a lot of hard work doing those water changes and some patience. :)

Are the 2 Oscars the only fish in that tank ? Because the long white stringy stuff sure looks like Pleco poop ......
And for the white cloudiness in your tank try some Crystal Clear ( I think thats what its called ) . They sell it at Wal Mart and helps bind some of the smallest particles and helps the filters to remove it. Its really cheap. Around $ 4 I think. You can also try to add a little bit of pillow floss to your filter ( yes , pillow stuffing thats sold in the craft section , also very cheap ). Its what I use in my filters and it works great. You just get a handful and add it to your filter.

• Mike_S.
  • Mike_S.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mike_S. replied the topic: maybe mating?

I'll go ahead and do a 50% change tomorrow, I have to go get some more water conditioner/dechlorinator first. I don't have any other fish in the tank, I'd like to get another Pleco, but I've held off because of small tanks. The last one we had lived a few years and got pretty large! As for chemicals all I've ever used for rot and fungus is pimafix and melafix. The pillow stuffing is an awesome idea!

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: maybe mating?

Try to get some Prime water conditioner if you can. That will neutralize any Ammonia or Nitrites present for up to 48 hours. Someone else may have an idea what the long stringy stuff is , because I am at a loss. Let us know how the water test comes back. And for now I would try to do daily 50% water changes if at all possible. The cleaner the water , the better ! :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds