What do you do with your runts?

• ldypaw
  • ldypaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

ldypaw created the topic: What do you do with your runts?

I ask this because I kinda figured nature will take it's course and the runts won't last long because their bigger brothers and sisters will suck them down like kids with candy. But I have about 4/5 that have surprised me, they come out at night and school with the rest of the big ones, but the minute the tank light comes on and food hits the surface, it's on. they always get away and hide behind the algae scrubber, heater, spray bar or intake tube, I actually thought they'd been eaten days ago till I moved the algae scrubber and four of them zipped out and went behind the heater. I dunno whether to leave them or move then to a separate tank. They sure are fast and apparently smarter than the big ones since they are alive. But I dunno if they will thrive if I move them. What do you guys do with runts? Cull them? split them up? All the above?

Thanks in advance for any advice guys :) (by the way a reputable local fish store will take all my fry wh00t)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: What do you do with your runts?

Here's the thing, they may not be true runts. Stress and eating less food would cause them to grow slower.

The only ones that should be culled are those showing defects, like arched back, missing fin, one eye, etc. If the runts look physically fine except for their size, then there is no point in culling them.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: What do you do with your runts?

Truly deformed fry go in with the big fronts. Other smal fish go to an isolation tank. For extra food and warmer temp to catch up to the others.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• ldypaw
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

ldypaw replied the topic: What do you do with your runts?

Big fronts? Is that what you call your big fish? Okay so they need to be moved to a separate tank, got it, don't see any deformed fish so far and the majority are at 1" now. Thanks guys

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: What do you do with your runts?

frontosa cichlids

• ldypaw
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

ldypaw replied the topic: What do you do with your runts?

Pretty color but omg so not a fan of the frontal hump :D but I get it he feeds them deformed ones to his bigger fishies :D yah I'm sure my big oscars would handle that :) but I think they are just needing a separate tank, they have access to plenty of food but stress is probably a big factor or they wouldn't hide

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds