Will Oscars cross breed with other species?

• tjwalley
  • tjwalley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

tjwalley replied the topic: Will Oscars cross breed with other species?

I was kindda thinkin that too, that the sperm & egg may not even be compatable. I'm not even sure if my O is a male or fm or if it is at the age to breed. It just sparked some curiousity. And Draco if u can do that experiment that would e awesome! Even if it doesnt work at least that information would be available. I couldn't find any kind of formal research data when i did a Google search, so u may be a groundbreaker on this one! Any ideas though of if she can sense he's a male or if it's just instinct? She hasn't actually laid any eggs, but i just began noticing the behavior a couple days ago. So i may have a batch of unfertilized eggs (aka pleco food) soon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11

ldypaw replied the topic: Will Oscars cross breed with other species?

I will next time I see one, infact next time I see one I'll buy it!

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Will Oscars cross breed with other species?

That could be some sort of "dyed fish". If it is I wouldn't buy it cuz its only promoting a cruel practice in the industry

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Will Oscars cross breed with other species?

@tjwalley and ldypaw, when i mixed up my female oscar and male fh,
that was really my intention. however, it ended in disaster...
but that doesn;t stop me trying... presently both are together again
in my big community tank...

• Thank you received: 11

ldypaw replied the topic: Will Oscars cross breed with other species?

@Jason possibly but I can't find out what it is if I can't get a picture or nab one

@Draco lol I can't imagine what a cross between a FH and an Oscar would look like

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Also, off topic, my O was about 1" when i got him back in November and now almost 5 and a half minths later he's only around the 5" mark. Is that a normal growth rate? He's got the eye problem and may be near or far sighted and i'm hoping that's not slowing his growth (since he has a hard time getting the pellets)

It just seems like my last O was so much bigger after the first 5 months, but he also may have been bigger than 1" when i brought him home. Just curious if he's still on track growth wise.

• Thank you received: 2

pinoybrat replied the topic: Will Oscars cross breed with other species?

tjwalley wrote: Also, off topic, my O was about 1" when i got him back in November and now almost 5 and a half minths later he's only around the 5" mark. Is that a normal growth rate? He's got the eye problem and may be near or far sighted and i'm hoping that's not slowing his growth (since he has a hard time getting the pellets)

It just seems like my last O was so much bigger after the first 5 months, but he also may have been bigger than 1" when i brought him home. Just curious if he's still on track growth wise.

i bought my albino and tiger last january and they are now 8 and 7 respectively

• tjwalley
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

I finally got some time to just sit and watch them again tonight (been busy taking care of a wife with a broken ankle) and he's definitely growing healthy. It had been awhile since i've REALLY got to check them out. Quick water changes and throwing pellets in or scooping uneaten ones out has been the only tank time here lately. I was just gettin paranoid cuz of the eye thing and he quit eating. Switched them to the hikari gold and he's devouring pellets left and right now. Not so worried now lol he's lookin pretty good! I like that i got them so small but i'm gettin antsy for them to get biiiiig now!

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Will Oscars cross breed with other species?

my feeling is they are going to be to genetically different to breed ... and I HIGHLY doubt they would do it with out actual human fertilization

I mean maybe with crassipinnis but I doubt much more and only because they are same genus ...

im not sure you can squeeze sperm from a O that is going to be hard you are probably going to have to wait for his tube to to drop huh...

with koi they like plump and then the breeder knows it is time to squeeze right? and they are a bigger fish ... who know just shooting out some ideas

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Will Oscars cross breed with other species?

A cross between a catfish & a koi??? I need to see that; that's 2 (genetically) entirely different animals, I don't see how the DNA code would mix......& by see, I mean see a living, breathing animal. :huh:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds