potassium permanganate

• aaronblove
  • aaronblove's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

aaronblove created the topic: potassium permanganate

Can potassium permanganate an accurate substitute for methelyne blue? Used to treat fungus growing on egg. I read that potassium permanganate also prevents fungus from growing on ur eggs. This is their 3rd batch so they still dont know what theyre doing so i am hatching them manually after a couple hours of using the substance and moving the eggs and placing the bubbler under the rock I noticed these bubbles. Is this normal? I've never seen it happen idk if I should tilt the rock a bit more or wat. Any suggestions help. I'm still new to this. thanks -Aaron
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: potassium permanganate

I use hydrogen peroxide when i pull eggs, 2ml/gallon the only kicker is you have to redose every 24 hours till they hatch and it will kill your cycle so relocate any filters before dosing. Next time disinfect the tank your going to pull the eggs to with pp then dose with the h2o2 till they become wigglers, the h2o2 naturally wears out of the water in 24 hours so once they go wiggler just stop adding h2o2 and your good to go

Also prop the eggs up at an angle, egg side up, and put an air stone next to the slate so it will create a current over the eggs mimicking the parents fanning the eggs

• Thank you received: 11

ldypaw replied the topic: potassium permanganate

Big-Ken wrote: I use hydrogen peroxide when i pull eggs, 2ml/gallon the only kicker is you have to redose every 24 hours till they hatch and it will kill your cycle so relocate any filters before dosing. Next time disinfect the tank your going to pull the eggs to with pp then dose with the h2o2 till they become wigglers, the h2o2 naturally wears out of the water in 24 hours so once they go wiggler just stop adding h2o2 and your good to go

Also prop the eggs up at an angle, egg side up, and put an air stone next to the slate so it will create a current over the eggs mimicking the parents fanning the eggs

Ken can you use H2O2 with the parents in the tank?

Long term repeated exposure can cause gill damage, i recommend meth blue if your going to treat with the parents

• aaronblove
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

aaronblove replied the topic: potassium permanganate

Ughhh!! It didn't work. Well I think it has been to an extent but Ive got a bit of fungus on my eggs :'( guess I'll just have a bottle of methlyne blue ready when they lay the next batch. @sofrustrated what really six is I have buyers lined up.

What didn't work H2O2 or PP?? I don't know where you heard to use PP but the only ones i know of are meth blue, acriflavin, and my preferred H2O2

• aaronblove
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

PP. The eggs are 40 hrs old and there's only a bit of fungus this time. Before it was practically the entire slab by this time. It deff is slowing the growth of the fungus but not killing it. I may just try H2O2 next time its a lot easier to find than meth blue I'll let you guys know how many fry I get this time. Last time it was only 20

• aaronblove
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Its been 48 hrs scince I added the pp. Its been absolutely no help. The slab is about half covered with fungus. If I add H2O2 now will it kill the fungus that's already there or does it just prevent?

• aaronblove
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Wow. Just looked up what happens when you mix the 2 and I definately Dont want that to happen... guess I'll just leave them be and end up with 20 fry again :'(

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds