Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

Again...I am baffled why people come here for advice when they don't plan on doing anything recommended and think they know it all. Why even ask us ?

You know , you can keep a fish 3 ways.

1. Doing nothing and watching him die a slow painful way

2. Do the bare minimum. Hoping that he lasts a couple of years and doesn't cause you too big of an inconvenience by getting sick.

3. Giving him a great life. Trying to make up for him missing out on a life in the wild. Working hard to keep him as healthy as living in captivity allows. Regarding him as a pet. Not just a fish.

You're choice...
The topic has been locked.
  • gorgoroth
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Evil IT Administrator
  • Thank you received: 80

gorgoroth replied the topic: Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

if you really want to keep 3-4 oscars in a 55g then think about this:

4 oscars at 12-15" will barely have space to move in a 55, guess what this will do for territory claims, either they will kill eachother or die from poor water quality.

i keep 2 oscars in a 90g because i know they are an established breeding couple and i do 2x75% water changes each week.

160 gallon south american
190 gallon malawi
  • Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

Do what you want. But with three or four in a 55, without massive water changes, it won't take very long before your oscars look like this:

They're amazingly tough fish, though, so they'll survive despite the sewerage they're living in, leading to oscars that look like this:

and eventually, before they die in their own filth, they look like this:

and no, they won't grow very big either. 8 inches or so.

Think again about what you want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rahul1991
  • rahul1991
  • rahul1991's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

rahul1991 replied the topic: Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

hey don't think me as a heartless person.

i clean there poo every 2nd-3rd day(to make it easy i removed all small stones from the tank) i know stones are important but sorry and i change around 20-40 percent water with that. would it be fine or i need to do more of that.
  • Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

Honestly ? I think you need to get a puppy and leave fish alone. It is becoming quite clear that you have no regard for their well being.
You seem to have some understanding of what they need but are determined to do whatever you want , even with us telling you that it's not healthy for the fish.
  • Nina_W
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Waterchange Warrior
  • Thank you received: 345

Nina_W replied the topic: Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

Well, let's do some math.

In a normal situation, with one oscar in a completely bare 55 gallon tank, it takes two 50% water changes a week to keep nitrates under 20 ppm. Over 20 ppm and the fish become susceptible to HITH - see my pictures above.
So, you need to change 55 gallons of water in 1 week, to keep 1 oscar healthy.

So, to keep four oscars healthy in a 55 gallon tank, you need to change 220 gallons of water a week.

You're suggesting you do 20-40% twice a week, yes? Let's give you the benefit of the doubt, and make that 40%, twice a week. So, you're taking out 22 gallons each time, that's 44 gallons a week. Is that the same as 220 gallons?

Let's put this another way as well. In about 3 days, nitrates in a 55 gallon with 1 adult oscar goes from 10 ppm to 20 ppm. That's about 3 ppm nitrates increase a day. With four oscars, you'll have 12 ppm increase a day, so every day, your nitrates will grow by 12. Again, let's say you change 40% every three days (so about 2-3 times a week).

So let's say you start with all new water and a well established filter that can process all the waste of the fish -
on day 1, nitrates climb to 12
On day 2, nitrates climb to 24 (already dangerous)
On day 3, nitrates climb to 36. You take out 40% and replace with fresh water, so your nitrates are at 27 at the end of the day.
On day 4, nitrates climb to 39.
On day 5, nitrates climb to 51.
On day 6, nitrates climb to 63. You do a 40% water change, lowering your nitrates by about 25, this leaves you with a nitrate level of 38.

Repeat until your fish are dead in six month's time, suffering all the while. You will literally have 1 day of ok water.

But you have no way of keeping an eye on this, since you don't have test kits.

And then, your oscars are very likely to murder each other for lack of space once they get to be six or so inches big. So nevermind the extremely poor water conditions, stress from fighting and injuries that never heal will also be part of the package.

Why not just one oscar in a 55?

Because you want more than one? That's really your reason? And you're unwilling to do even the work it would take one oscar to thrive?
Yes, you are a heartless person - clearly the wellbeing of the fish comes second to your desires.
  • Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Don't forget the Ammonia his filter probably won't be able to process and the slow painful Ammonia poisoning. Well , it's not that slow , just very painful....
  • ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

well written guys!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• rahul1991
  • rahul1991's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 0

rahul1991 replied the topic: Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

hehehehehehehehehe....... :)

You people are so funny....

nina_w according to your calculation they must already die.... and yes with a bad filtration even lot more earlier.... then how they are surviving and if i calculate like you than my tank must have nitrate above 500ppm....

i think you people observed oscars in river not in your tank. i think in your country you dont have oscar baby or the babies are of 1feet thats what you are saying.

2 or 4 oscar in 4feet tank, its a torture???

i think you wear XL size clothes from your child hood. right??

And the best part is that you people don't know the actual dimention of my tank, even didn't bother to ask me the tank size... hahahahahha...
you are sick not the oscar
just speaking all bulshit.
You can scroll up the entire post and find me where did i mentioned the tank size.

You would hate me after knowing the actual tank size its only 18 gallon(2feet).

i was considering to bring a 55gallon tank but according to you people its already small.
So lets see wheather to bring 55g aur exchange them with tetra's.(dont comment about this i know your opinion and you are right about it)
yes its really small for them.

could any calculate me the nitrate level for 18g with 4 oscar. :) it must be over 1000ppm.

You people are just like books telling definations you are not practical.
  • bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Can we guess the gender of oscar by black spots

Kid go take nap. You sound cranky and ignorant.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement
Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds